UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Stolen Antiquities

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

Stolen Antiquities - a controversial subject, no doubt!

In my view ANY object that is taken (past or present) from another country that is deemed of historic value should be returned to its country of origin!

For example, the Elgin Marbles that are in the British Museum should be returned to Greece!

Egypt has suffered appallingly when it comes to their artifacts being taken from them, I really do think that they all should be returned!

I am expecting a backlash from other users on this topic, but I am adament about my given views

Guest spartacus

Thats a very diplomatic answer PP !

But keeping items that dont belong to you - even those taken in wars is still immoral !

Moving to modern times, how much artwork did the nazis plunder, and how much has been returned?

What about the Taliban in Afghanistan,didnt they dinamite some statues set into the cliffs??? I think the Greek Government offered to buy and move them to Greece but Taliban wouldnt allow it.So they Destroyed them :angry::wacko::P:o The statues were in there own country and they were the governing body at the time,is it ok for them to be blew up! L