UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Colosseum

Guest gelo

I've heard that there have been proposals to restore the Colloseum but that apparently many people oppose the idea. Many consider the Colloseum in it's semi-ruined state as being the symbol of modern Rome and are worried that if it's completely restored it will lose most of it's character.

Personally, I would love to see a complete restoration of the Colloseum. But if it's to be restored, it must be done properly, with the authentic materials such as the correct type of marble etc. The costs would most likely be huge, but I believe that the restoration would mostly be funded by private companies and not the government.

So the main problems would probably be the costs, both labour and materials. But with cranes and diamond cutting discs, the process of mining, transporting and fitting the marble shouldn't be too difficult.

apparently many people oppose the idea

I'm one of them..for other reasons though. It's not because the Colosseum is the symbol of modern Rome and then the romans would feel bad about it, it's just that it would be a too complicated operation, especially with materials, and I wouldn't want to see a repetition of what the various popes did to the colosseum throughout the centuries, adding pieces with different colours and such. I think that would give it a sense of "artificiality" =( I absolutely don't want them to build the missing parts. As far as restructuration goes I recall the last one was before the jubilee =S maybe I'm wrong. We are currently having "green sundays" and "green thursdays" to reduce pollution (it was terrible in the last few weeks =() but most people feel like it's totally useless..if after a month the pollution level is exactly the same. They'd better reinforce public transportation instead (that would also save me and the other romans hours spent in traffic jams and all these beautiful things ) but I doubt our current government would be interested... ;)

I agree with preservation not restoration. There are materials available that can stave-off pollution damage, but they are expensive. I think it should be more of an international effort, perhaps coordinated through the UN. Maybe or not...

I would like to get a sense of the Colosso in full size however, maybe a Virtual restoration or a Disney World / Studio / Theme Park situation.

( I can see it now "Roman World" with android people, and a Yul Brenner gunslinger, and... :P )

Anyway, I was impressed with it and loved the cats there. The only place in the area we weren't mugged by pidgeons for food items. :)