UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Officer Mask found in Sweden

Viggen

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it was plugged and used as a wall ornament or some other decorative purpose.

Might very well have been so, but these masks were highly decorative as they were - I cannot really see the need to plug the eyes before hanging the thing on a wall. Then again, it is very difficult to poke around in the heads of people so long lost.

I figured it was plugged and used as a wall ornament or some other decorative purpose.

Might very well have been so, but these masks were highly decorative as they were - I cannot really see the need to plug the eyes before hanging the thing on a wall. Then again, it is very difficult to poke around in the heads of people so long lost.

Owner may have found the lack of eyes a tad creepy? We'll never know! Awesome piece, though, lucky it survived at all.

Well, that would be a quite bold theory considering that the area around the left eye of the mask is completely gone, but it is certainly interesting. I hope that some additional information will be published soon.