UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman fort unearthed at school playing fields dig

Viggen

Structures of Roman fort defences never before seen in Britain have been unearthed during an excavation in Wales. Archaeologists have uncovered sections of the defences of the 1st century AD building at the dig at school playing fields. A defence tower, which allowed soldiers to shoot at gate attackers, has been found partially set outside the ramparts of the fort which was occupied until at least the 3rd century.

Read More at http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/02/22/roman-fort-unearthed-at-school-playing-fields-dig-91466-28210124/#ixzz1EgmMSSRr

The BBC now have an article on this find as well here.

Although it isn't too different from the other report it does include a link to a 360 production video report on Youtube reporting on the find. This video report

includes some nice images of the defensive ditches mentioned in the other reports.

Very interesting... I wonder if the tower was connected by a bridge to the main part of the fort? I cant imagine a cohort centurion placing some of his men in this tower without providing them with some means of retreat to the rest of the unit.

EDIT: Also interesting is that the modern place name is not that far evolved from the Roman one.

Edited by Northern Neil

• 2 weeks later...

It is really interesting: I had heard that towers were usually inside the wall in early forts. I thought that the Romans didn't care about enfilading fire. The Silures must have been a major threat for that much energy to have been devoted to defense.

Does anyone have a good idea of what this fort was actually guarding? I would think that if it were a critical post that they would have a larger garrison than a cohort or ala and devote less time to fortification.

I highly doubt that they would've wasted time on a bridge. In an attack it wouldve been very exposed itself. It could easily be burnt, and if the enemy could get underneath it they would be sheltered from the defenders' missles. Plus it would have provided an access in if it was breached. I would've made the towers' defenses stronger as a stand alone unit.

Roamn Britain.Org has some information on the Roman fort of Nidum here.

The Roman name for the fort and probable harbour ar Neath appears only in the Antonine Itinerary of the mid-2nd century. Within Iter XII, entitled "the route from Moridunum [Carmarthen, Dyfed] to Viroconium [Wroxeter, Shropshire]", this document records the station Nido located 15 miles equidistant from both Leucarum (Loughor, West Glamorgan) and Bomium (Bridgend, Mid Glamorgan). The name may be related to the latin word nidus, 'nest, eyrie', but the meaning is unclear.

...continued

This fort is the third location on Itinery XII of the Antonine Itinery as shown here.

Despite the mid-2nd century date for the mention of Nidum in the Antonine Itinery, the interesting point is that the recent excavations seem to be indicating a first century date for the fort which would fit in with the Roman occupation of this part of Wales.

Nidum appears tpo have been intended to guard a harbour so this would fit in some suggestions that the Roman navy supported the conquest of Wales. Possibly it was also used as a base for troops who could be landed behind the Silures lines as raiding parties in an area where land travel was difficult.