UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Owning Roman Property!

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

I was wondering what items of Roman origins other site users own?

I would imagine most would have coins but do you own any other items from the Roman times?

I possess an authenticated Arrowhead, which incidentally is up for sale ( see separate post )

I own a couple of Roman brooches although I do not think that Roman artefacts should be bought and sold. This not only disturbs the archaeology but when one is investigating an archaeological site and all the pieces have been sold, then how can you use the artefacts to date a site.

I don't own any ancient artifacts, although I'd like to own a couple. I'm actually quite wary of getting ripped off. I mean surely it would be quite easy to knock up what looks a bit like an Egyptian ushabti or something and sell it to the likes of me.

I've heard that fakes are quite a problem even for serious collectors and I would be loath to give my money for something that turns out to be piece of junk.

Would the online auction sites be as reputable as they tend to look?

May not be ancient but I own three small statues I got in Roma last year. One is a chariot with horses and a roman driver on a roman road, the other two are two of my fav. romans, Gaius Julius Octavius Octavianus Augustus Caesar, and the other of course is Gauis Julius Caesar. Can't find one yet for my favorite Romans Gnaeus Pompeuis Magnus or Gaius Marius, but soon enough I will.