UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spank_the_pig

What If Juilus Caesar Never Was Alive

Guest spank_the_pig

If someone could help me I will be very happy, i just need a couple things that would be different if he never existed.

Guest spartacus

There would have been more Gauls alive!

Gallic Tribal harmony - Julias played one off against another!

No Roman civil War

Stability in Rome

Theres a few to start with !

There are so many roman civil wars another would have popped up and with or without Caesar there would have not been any stability as is obvious with Sulla and Marius.

how is it that julius cuased a civil war? i dont know much at all about roman politics...

Rome wouldn't have continued on its path towards western world dominance without Caesar, and most especially his heir Augustus. Without their individual leadership, Rome would've eventually split off into various factions and petty kingdoms, in my opinion, of course.

Tell your professor this is a redundant question and asking the what if question is not a good way to educate students as it leads to too many arguments and possiblities. If I ever got asked to do a paper on this type of topic I would refuse to do it.

Tell your professor this is a redundant question and asking the what if question is not a good way to educate students as it leads to too many arguments and possiblities. If I ever got asked to do a paper on this type of topic I would refuse to do it.

Indeed, there is no 'right and wrong' answer to this. Its a poor method of education.

Probably most significantly Rome might have remained a Republic for a little longer. This may have changed things considerably. There were still some pretty ambitious types running around.

Yes, my Celtic friends in France might be still alive and maybe more united. Tribalism ran pretty deep before he got there.

The who crossing the Rubicon phrase does not make it into our vocabulary :lol: or the idea of the die is cast.

Tell your professor this is a redundant question and asking the what if question is not a good way to educate students as it leads to too many arguments and possiblities.  If I ever got asked to do a paper on this type of topic I would refuse to do it.

Indeed, there is no 'right and wrong' answer to this. Its a poor method of education.

True about the right or wrong, but it does make students look into the situation more. Knowledge of historical facts is one thing, insight in the why is another. It's a good assignment if you ask me.

Yes, its a veiled attempt at saying, what did Rome/Caesar do for western civilization. Perfectly legitimate question. The 'what if' direction sends it off in a tangent though.

Oh well, better to discuss historical repurcussions in some manner than not at all :lol:

Magnus's and PP's had me thinking, I forgot to reply to the actual topic. Heh.

i just need a couple things that would be different if he never existed

Others kind of brought it up, but let me continue on it. Would Caesar have not succesfully invaded gaul, the Celtic society would have had more room to develop. We would have a much bigger Celtic influence in our present Western culture. More surrealism in our artworld, for example.

Would Caesar have not succesfully invaded gaul, the Celtic society would have had more room to develop.

Now this is one of the great 'what if's' of history. If Celtic civilization had developed a little farther it might have caused problems for Rome, much like Carthage. Some of Celtic society did survive fora while in Britiana in areas like Wales and Scotland. God bless those Picts. But because they were always fighting Rome it seems they had to become more warlike if that is possible. In War societies develop the culture side a little slower at times.

The question gets you think about what Caeser's effect on history was and what might have been.

Its certainly interesting stuff alright, the implications of the magical removal from history of someone of Julius Ceasar's stature is always going to create some serious reprecussions.

To find the minimum impact possible I suppose it could be argued that the way the republic was headed, somebody was going to seize control pretty soon ( if it held together of course ), and that the expansion under the Empire would have simply happened a few years later and under different Emperors.

But even in that case - the bare minimum disruption caused - the implications would be huge.

I don't know much about Augustus's early life, I know he was Julius's protege but - formidable as he was - would the young Augustus/Octavian have had any opportunity to get where he did without Julius's patronage I wonder? ( cos its hard to see an Empire without Augustus )

I don't know much about Augustus's early life, I know he was Julius's protege but - formidable as he was - would the young Augustus/Octavian have had any opportunity to get where he did without Julius's patronage I wonder? ( cos its hard to see an Empire without Augustus ?

No he was of a relatively minor family and was virtually unknown prior to his emergence as Caesar's heir. Without the events of Caesar's life, my guess is Octavian never would've even been a player of any note at all on the world stage.