UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Hus

How many times did Romans plunder their own Temples?

We know that the Romans delved into their own sacred Temples for treasures- Julius Caesar did this after crossing the Rubicon (?) and also Nero ordered them looted, but how many other times were they plundered?

And how was this viewed by Romans when their own kinsmen did it, as opposed to 'barbarians' stealing their treasure ( which was probably looted from barbarians quite often in the first place?)?

Were Roman Temple 'plunderers' ever cursed?

Caesar's case was specific as it was the official state treasuary (which was kept in a temple) that he took when he captured Rome, and I don't remember any other roman temple pillaged by him.

But otherwise it was indeed comon for generals to take money in sanctuaries, but I've always wondered (and been to lazy to check) how many time it was force-seized instead of loaned under more or less pressure.

Because temples were, one must remember, the main financial powers of the ancient world and the first bankers in the mediteranean as is shown as early as classical greek period. also many treasuaries of the ancient temples were not money but art object which could often not be cast into bullion or was worth more as art than as bullion.

In such a case the temples who helped the defeated leader might get plundered by the victor in civil war to ornate some building he was building to commemorate for his victory, or simply tell the temples they would not see their money back even if it was captured when the foe the temples had supported was defeated.

If I remember well we see exactly this kind of behaviour from Octavius/Augustus after the defeat of the conspirators, and also after the defeat of Marc Antony.

These comportements are different from the ones of the barbarians.