UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Testudo Formation

Other problems were that the front rank's faces and legs were still exposed; the formation couldn't move very quickly; and more powerful weapons (such as Eastern composite bows) could puncture the scutum and pin the soldiers' hands to their shields under prolonged fire, as occurred at Carrhae.

From wikipedia.

• 1 month later...

The testudo was only one of many formations and tactics in which legionaries were trained and on which a commander could call as required.

But to use the line from Sondheim's "Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", Pseudollus claims he was dismissed from the army because he "...arched when I should have slung"!!

Even today an army officer is likely to come unstuck if he uses the wrong tactic at the wrong time. But equally, unexpected use of a manoeuvre at the right time might win the day.

I think we need to recognise that the testudo formed just one of a palette of options available to Roman generals and commanders. It had no guarantee of suceess. What is the source of your Dacian incident, Ovidius? Surely to have "heard" about it implies you spoke to someone who was there!! But war and battles are a duel between two minds and many actors, in which each strives to counter and disrupt the others' plans.

I also assume that a testudo, on the field, would rarely have acted in total isolation - but could have relied on supporting troops, covering fire from archers or artillery, and would hve had a fixed, limited and deliberate purpose.

Interesting posts, especially from our re-enactor.

Phil