P.Clodius

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scanderbeg

Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus

A man of the people.

One of the first to challenge the senate.

Soldier

And from the Scipio Africanus(MY favorite Roman) line.

This is actually a fairly tough one. I consider many characters to be famous...

Anyway, I was always partial to M. Furius Camillus, the legendary conqueror of Veii and savior of Rome. Unfortunately, his story, as told by Livy, is very much filled with the stuff of legend and myth. Still an important character in early Roman history.

My Namesake -- Marcus Atilius Regulus.

Legend has it that during the First Punic War while campaigning in North Africa he was captured and his army destroyed. He agreed to argue for the Carthiginian terms and if they were not accepted then he agreed to return to Carthage for whatever punishment was required. Rome refused the terms and Marcus returned true to his word where he was killed by brutal torture. This is the legend.

The Real Marcus of antiquity based on literary and historical study was an expereinced and able general who was elected several times. He is credited with the first use of the corvus (raven) in battle at sea. Basically he kicked butt and in the end put the Carthiginians in a bad spot where he gave them terms os severe that they refused. The outmatched Carthage hired the Spartian mercenary general -- Xanthippus who final beat Marcus and had him captured. He died in captivity.

Good General, multiple Consulships and an inspiring legend -- not bad.

Well, Caesar and Augustus are honestly my favorite. :-)

But to name someone not so well known among the general populace, I would say the semi-legendary Lucius Junius Brutus, the crafty first Consul who executed his own sons for betraying the Republic. Whether the story is history or legend, it does convey the steel of the Roman soul. We see in Brutus a lot of the guile, strength and honor by which later Romans would be judged.