UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Borgias (TV series)

Kosmo

The lengthy pilot was nice with beautiful costumes and decors. The subject allows for all the intrigue, sex & violence the producers want while remaining decently accurate, I hope, but I don't think accuracy is a goal. This show could fill the spot left empty by the ending of The Tudors not only because is the same historical period but it feels similar.

Another sexy soap opera masquerading as a semi-historical costume drama.

Just my kind of show. wink.gif

I am looking forward to this and "Camelot" when they come out on DVD .

Excellent definition!

I don't like much Camelot. With wizards and magic is an heroic fantasy not even semi-historical. The worst part is the absence of eye candy. Costumes, decor and special effects look low budget and it was not really sexy despite some brief nudity. The guy who played M. Antonius in HBO Rome played a very similar role in the first 2 episodes.

The lengthy pilot was nice with beautiful costumes and decors.

:lol: I was going to write a post on the series, too.

I enjoy historical series if they have any semblance of reality. This helps me slog through non-fiction books about the period. Correctly or not, it helps me keep the true historical characters of any time period straight in my simple mind.

Anyway, the series looks interesting. It might rekindle my interest in renaissance Italy. :D

http://www.sho.com/site/borgias/home.sho

(You can watch the first episode through the above link or click below.)

http://www.sho.com/site/order/preview.do#/Borgias_s01_e01

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched the first couple episodes. So far, so good. :clapping:

guy also known as gaius

I've just seen a trailer for it on the new Sky Atlantic channel here in the UK. Not sure when it starts though??

Historical.......sex.......violence........drama????? What more could a guy ask for!!!!

This should nicely fill the void left by the excellent Tudors.

• 4 weeks later...

As the series "The Borgias" comes to the conclusion of its first season, I have to recommend this series highly (again!). Like the HBO series "Rome," there are many layers of interest in the series: politics, love, war, art, etc. Unlike the "Rome" series, however, the pace so far has been less rushed, allowing for greater character development.

Learning about the politics of the Italian Renaissance can be very difficult. The many cities and city states (Milan, Venice, Naples, Florence, Rome, etc.) and personalities (Visconti, Sforzas, Venetian doges, the confusing cavalcade of Roman popes, etc) make grasping Italian Renaissance history and politics difficult for anyone.

From this series, many of these Renaissance personalities now come into sharper focus: the ruthless Charles VIII of France, the bizarre King Ferrante of Naples, the scheming Medici and Machiavelli, self-righteous Savonarola, and of course, the ambitious Borgia family (Pope Alexander VI and Cesare, with the tragic Lucrezia).

I admit my simple mind sometimes requires a TV series like