UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Getting Hereditary Title

Guest Scanderbeg

Guest Scanderbeg

I have a question.

When a general gets a hereditary title after a place he has conquered(Africanus, Germanicus, Britannicus etc) how does he get it? Is it a closed door senate thing? or is it after he has made his triumphant ceremony(going through the triumphant arch, ceremonial sacrifice etc.) in a public open area?

I believe it was Senatorial decree and had little to do with the Plebes. Consider that Quintus Caecilius Metellus received the honor of Numidicus despite the fact that he botched the war with Jugurtha and was replaced by Marius. The senate hated Marius (though not quite so much just yet) but Metellus was one of their own.

Just as an example of Roman naming...

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (Major)

Praenomen - Nomen - Cognomen - Also cognomen, but referred to as Agnomen since the 4th century AD to avoid confusion - Major is modern terminology like elder and younger to help differentiate famous relations

Generally, only women were officially known as Major and Minor. Two daughters born in the same household would both carry the name of the father. In the house of Julius, both girls would be named Julia. Hence Major and Minor to help set them apart. If more than two, they might be numbered...

Julia Primus, Julia Secundas, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Germanicus was actually named after his father Drusus' successful campaigns in Germany. That Germanicus himself later led his own successful campaigns into Germany and against Arminius was coincidence as far as his name was concerned.

Though that's not really germane to the point of this topic I guess.