UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"The War of Jedi Agression"

Ursus

I somehow get the feeling that there is a lot more behind this picture than the press report indicates.

I am sure that there is someone, apparently dressed for 'Pirate's of the Caribbean', in the middle row on the right. :wacko:

Did I miss the Confederates, as well as the Ghostbusters? :unsure:

Did I miss the Confederates, as well as the Ghostbusters? :unsure:

Do you think they are Union soldiers? Usually confederates are a lighter gray but those uniforms do not look dark blue either.

There is actually quite a lot of variation in the shade of blue (or grey) worn by re-enactors since they generally use vegetable based dyes like the original combatants which naturally fade through use. The Confederacy normally wore grey but some units/ individuals also wore what is described as 'butternut' coloured uniforms while the union generally wore shades of blue.

However there are also a few unusual/ unlikely colour combinations which were used during the conflict like the 'zouaves' who fought on the Union side wearing red hats and reg baggy trousers/pantaloons while union sharpshooters apparently wore forest green uniforms but some Confederate units also had green uniforms and some units on both side wore what is pususally claimned as the other sides 'coolours'.

This site has some interesting information on the third page about the wide variation in uniform colours used in the conflict.

But to answer your question I think in this instance these particular re-enactors are representing Union troops - the Ghostbusters, Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribean re-enactors apparently wandered over form a local toy fair which was happening nearby that weekend.