UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How Did Romans Used Architecture In Empire Buildin

Guest gangarch

Briefly, Roman architecture sprung up wherever the empire went. I suppose architecture helped remind the vanquished of who was in charge, and what they were capable of technologicaly. Until roman invasion, those barbarian nations invaded would probably never have seen buildings constructed entirely of stone, nor buildings on such a scale. I would say that architecture was part of the process of Romanisation of provinces already conquered, but you can't really say that it "built" the empire. It helped to stabalise an Empire already in exsistance through military might.

Roman culture was very urban in character. Temples, baths, markets and so forth were all part of urban life. In the Western Empire when a tribe was conquered Rome would build a city (or expand upon an existing proto-town) and develop in into an urban center whence the conquered tribe could interact with Rome. This inspired tribes to move in from the hills and woods and lead a "civilized" life where they could enjoy the fruits of Romanization. The towns would always be the strongholds of Romanization while those still living in the countryside would be far less effected by Roman culture.

All those forts, aquaducts, roads and so forth also had very practical and economic benefits to the empire, too.

My favorite examples of imperial architecture are the Romano-Celtic temples in the West. Not only are they interesting from an architectural standpoint, but they served as a place where Celts and Romans could honor their gods side by side. They helped foster a religious and thus political peace between the two cultures.

Guest gangarch

thank you for the detailed amount of reply.

it truly gave me an inside view of architecture & the Roman Empire.

theres just so much to learn about this civilization...