UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

An Enquiry About Dates And Times

Hamilcar Barca

OK, OK we all know what year the great Roman battles occurred in e.g. Zama 202BC, Pydna 168BC, Strasbourg 357AD etc But something which always bothers me is that I can rarely find specific dates which include both day and month as well. Sure most of the big ones are covered such as Cannae on Aug 2 and Allia on July 18. But I'm having real difficulty in tracking down dates for the majority of other battles such as Vercellae, Sentinum or Beneventum etc.

Does anyone know a good website or book which would be useful??? I would really appreciate it.

I cant think of anything off the top of my head that list everything that specifically in one place. Most are listed by reading all the ancient sources, but of course that is alot of reading and filtering. Also be aware that accurate dating is often the victim of changes in the calendars. One source may report it is March, when in reality, after shifts in the calendar it was in the mid summer season. Just something to watch out for.