UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Emperor Vespasian

Zeke

Guest Scanderbeg

You have to admire the man. He came to power during a dark time in Rome. he faced many challenges to restoring order after the civil wars and fixing the capital after the fire. He did have his political problems. Like the exile and later execution of Helvidius Priscus, his political enemy. Who advocated senatorial independance. According to historians, they seem to agree that he was pretty straight forward with the revenues and did not waste them. He also granted state salaries to teachers and improved social life in Rome through setting up new theaters. He continued expansion in the Empire through Britain and Germany and died peacefully.

Guest spartacus

What makes a good Emporer ?

As Emporers go, Vespasian can be deemed as a "good" Emporer, he served in the army, by all accounts he had a good service record, he came to power in turbulent times, he was a man for the people, not a man of the people, reformed outdated laws, ordered re-building, repairs that benefited all

He led a frugal lifestyle, choosing to live in ordinary housing, and without any trappings of wealth

He ordered the construction of the Flavian Ampitheatre which was built over the site of Neros Summer Palace in a deliberate attempt at erasing Neros memory, he died before completion

Vespasian is under-rated and under appreciated. Aside from things already mentioned.. the importance of Vespasian is the restabilization of the imperial line. I'm not just talking about dynastic tradition with him and his two sons, but after Vespasian the next 8 emperors came to power without major indident (9 if you include Lucius Verus). Vespasian not only stabilized the principate with supreme authority after the civil wars following Nero's death, but he rebuilt a depleted treasury and reaffirmed the supreme authority of the Roman legion.

Despite the fact that he gave the world Domitian (not so much his fault as Titus was preferred, in contrary to Claudius preferring Nero to his own son), Vespasian deserves the honor of being regarded in much the same respect as the '5 good emperors'.

I really like the portrait sculptures I've seen of Vespasian too, part of that "for the people" thing. He always looks pretty rugged, like a flea bitten old warrior.

Don't many historians today consider Domitian's bad reputation to be overstated, and more a result of the need the writers of the time to tear him down so as to serve as a contrast to Trajan who they were building up?

Yes excellent point. Tactitus' support of his father-in-law Agricola (recalled by Domitian at the height of his success in Britain) plays a major role in that.

However, he was disliked by the elite and was assassinated, so as always there are elements of truth even in the deepest propoganda.

Guest Mongeaux

A Vespasian Joke:

Vespasian loved dirty jokes, as any soldier would. He often hired comics to come to dinners and make fun of the courtiers. One day a particularly snide wit had everybody in stitches with his vicious jabs, except Vespasian noticed that he was being left out of the fun. So he asked the comic "You're making jokes about everybody but me. Are you going to makes some jokes at my expense too?"

The comic, who was well aware that the Emperor was famous for going about with a perpetually "Strained" look on his face replied:

vespasian.gif

"Sure I will, right after you finish taking that DUMP!"

• 2 weeks later...

They are poles apart, Nero was a possibly psychotic despot, and Marcus was a kind, philosopher emperor, considered to be the last of the "five good emperors". Marcus Aurelius only real failing was leaving his freak son as heir. I guess another similarity is that they probably both composed verse - Aurelius "Meditations" of stoic thought, and Nero endless poetry and music which he forced his court to sit through for days on end, putting to death any senator that happened to nod off. Thats really where the similarity ends though.

Don't many historians today consider Domitian's bad reputation to be overstated

It's hard to say that a man who burnt off other mens penises for amusement (among other alarming methods of torture) while he ate his dinner didn't deserve a bad reputation.

But it is true that contemporary historians and writers despised him and never let the world forget how terrible he really was. Juvenal famously referred to him as "A bald Nero", which basicly meant that while Nero was a tyranical madman responsible for countless atrocties and foulplay, the one thing he did have going for him was a decent doo. Juvenal deprives Domitian even of this, indicating that nothing good can be said about him.

Vespasian and Titus rocked though, I just don't get how Domitian turned out so bad.