UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Roman ship had on board fish tank

A Roman ship found with a lead pipe piercing its hull has mystified archaeologists. Italian researchers now suggest that the pipe was part of an ingenious pumping system, designed to feed on-board fish tanks with a continuous supply of oxygenated water. Their analysis has been published online in the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology1.

Historians have assumed that in ancient times fresh fish were eaten close to where they were caught, because without refrigeration they would have rotted during transportation. But if the latest theory is correct, Roman ships could have carried live fish to buyers across the Mediterranean Sea..............

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110531/full/news.2011.335.html

I have a slight problem with this theory. Since a vessel floats because it displaces water equal to the weight of the vessel, filling the hull full of water tanks isn't going to make for a very sea worthy ship. A small modest tank for either personal use or expensive luxury fish perhaps, but large scale commercial appplication? The Romans weren't known as great sailors.

An interesting idea although the report seems to indicate they don't have that much of either the ship or the attached pipe to make any analysis.

As far as keeping fish alive during long distance transportation this idea does have some parallels with other aspects of Roman culture. I remember reading of Roman period fishing boats being found with fish 'tanks' probably intended for short term storage elsewhere so the idea is not totally out of 'left field'.

Of more direct application to the idea of keeping marine life alive until needed for eating; at Marcham Frilford we have found evidence for oysters being brought from the south coast, probably around Chichester, due to the type of marine encrustations found on the shells. This means that as they had to be eaten fresh they were brought overland, probably in barrels filled with sea water about 90 miles or so during a trip of several days.

I suppose the alternative if the pipe was not linked to a fish tank is that we may have found evidence for an early Roman fire boat - I am not totally serious in that suggestion .... but you never know ....? ;)

We know live fish was sold in inland markets, an archeologist showing some years ago that the central round building found in many market places (macellum) was used for such sale, thus I'm not that surprised that they devised such systems.

I suppose the alternative if the pipe was not linked to a fish tank is that we may have found evidence for an early Roman fire boat - I am not totally serious in that suggestion .... but you never know ....?

Or riot control at naval re-enactments? Maybe? Or did the Romans get fed up the smell of unwashed pirates on the otherwise very pretty Mediterranean? Soap not included.

I think this falls into the unfortunate and all too common area of "We need some publicity for our new find, so we will use whatever headline we can come up with to get it".

Yes,the pipe may have been for an onboard fish tank, but equally, it may have been for lots of other things. Sadly, it's unlikely that the truth of it will ever be revealed - unless another ship with more artefacts is found.

Taking note of Dr H