UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Gaius Marius at War - Ancient Warfare Magazine

Very interesting discussion about Gaius Marius with editor Jasper Oorthuys, Lindsay Powell, Michael Taylor and Murray Dahm about

Ancient Warfare V.1, 2011 The 'new man' who saved Rome - Gaius Marius at war

Gaius Marius is credited with introducing wide ranging reforms which would transform the Roman Army into the professional machine of the Empire. Elected consul and unprecedented seven times, he authorised landless citizens to do military service (something that may have lead to the eventually down fall of the Roman Empire as troops became bound to their Generals to ensure their care), he gave them fixed duration of service and as such established a standing army.

But were all of Marius's reforms his own? What was there impact? And was he the great a leader as we are allowed to believe? In a lively discussion Jasper, Lindsay, Murray and Michael discuss Ancient Warfare magazine V-1, The 'new man' who saved Rome. Gaius Marius at War.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thehistorynetwork/Gaius_Marius_at_war.mp3

Thanks for posting. I've been thinking of singing up to ancient warfare magazine for years now. Nice discussion too, although the section on chariot warfare towards then end seemed to have veered off the topic of Gaius Marius somewhat.

...dont forget as a premium member at UNRV, you get a 5% discount on Ancient Warfare Magazine

...dont forget as a premium member at UNRV, you get a 5% discount on Ancient Warfare Magazine

Thanks for the info Viggen. I'll be making purchases there once I get more money in.