UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Early French had a taste for beer

Evidence of beer making in Mediterranean France, as far back as the 5th century BC, has been unearthed by Laurent Bouby from the CNRS - Centre de Bio-Archeologie et d'Ecology in Montepellier, France, and colleagues. Their analyses at the Roquepertuse excavation site in Provence reveal the presence of poorly preserved barley grains suggesting germination, as well as equipment and other remains of deliberate malting in the home. Taken together, these findings suggest that, as well as regular wine making, the French had an early passion for beer brewing. The work has just been published online in Springer's journal Human Ecology...

...read the full article at Physorg.com

• 3 months later...
Guest ParatrooperLirelou

The early French were Celts, so I am not really surprised they had a fondness for beer.

Not quite at all, modern French would be lucky to have 0.10% of Gaullish blood in them.Calling them the early French is akin to calling the Normans French(who were in fact an off-shoot of Vikings).

Two completely different cultures and civilizations.

The early French were Celts, so I am not really surprised they had a fondness for beer.

Not quite at all, modern French would be lucky to have 0.10% of Gaullish blood in them.Calling them the early French is akin to calling the Normans French(who were in fact an off-shoot of Vikings).

Two completely different cultures and civilizations.

ParatrooperLirelou, I think you may have missed the point of Ursus comment that those who occupied the area now comprising 'modern' France in ancient times had 'Celtic' (which includes Gaullish) bloodlines therefore in common with other 'Celtic' peoples a fondness for beer is only to be expected.

'Early' and 'modern' French are not synonymous nor was it implied in the original response.

Could anyone else really use a beer right now?

Possibly but right now I'm going to check out how my home made cider is coming on :)