UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Timasius and Stilicho

Ave Civitas,

I am working on a story about the battle of Frigidus. My research reveals that Timasius, related to Theodosius's wife, Empress Aelia Flaccilla, so pretty high up on the pecking order.

Theodosius placed him as commander of troops in the campaign against Eugenius and Arbogast.

When the battle was over however, it was Stilicho who chose to keep the legions in the West.

My question is, if Timasius was overall commander and Stilicho a subordinate general, why did Timasius not just say, "Sorry Flav, I'm taking the legions, bye."

My guesses are:

1. Stilicho was made Magister Utriusque Militiae and that put him as supreme commander of the Western legions. However, that still does not give him control of the Eastern legions.

2. Timasius was relieved of command (with the intention of sending him back east) but the orders were overlooked when Theodosius took ill, so had no control over the legions.

Any suggestions, thoughts, sources I may look up?

Thanks again,

Tom

Ave Civitas,

I am working on a story about the battle of Frigidus. My research reveals that Timasius, related to Theodosius's wife, Empress Aelia Flaccilla, so pretty high up on the pecking order.

Theodosius placed him as commander of troops in the campaign against Eugenius and Arbogast.

When the battle was over however, it was Stilicho who chose to keep the legions in the West.

My question is, if Timasius was overall commander and Stilicho a subordinate general, why did Timasius not just say, "Sorry Flav, I'm taking the legions, bye."

My guesses are:

1. Stilicho was made Magister Utriusque Militiae and that put him as supreme commander of the Western legions. However, that still does not give him control of the Eastern legions.

2. Timasius was relieved of command (with the intention of sending him back east) but the orders were overlooked when Theodosius took ill, so had no control over the legions.

Any suggestions, thoughts, sources I may look up?

Thanks again,

Tom

Very briefly, it is possible, though unattested, that immediately after the conquest Timasius was ordered to return East by Theodosius (before Theodosius' death). Shortly before Theodosius died, Stilicho was made parens (guardian) of Honorius in the West. If Timasius was still in the West, as both Honorius and Stilicho were now of a higher rank than Timasius, Timasius had no choice but to follow their orders and he was returned East.

Stilicho