UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Doli

I think some people tend to confuse the findings of the new Ikea with the ones of Ikea anagnina, so I thought I'd make a separate thread for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the amphores found at the first IKEA in Rome, they are called Doli (IV-V century b.C.);they were used as containters for foodstuffs and food in general. The enourmous quantity of vases and broken tiles found inside an area delimitated by walls made of tufo(?) that later collapsed, leads to think that the original building was a warehouse. After the collapse it was used as a manure pit.

Picture by me here:

doli_anagnina.jpg

sorry for the bad quality but the photo was gigantic so I had to make it smaller

Could you give us an idea of the scale of the pots and the building.  What volume are we talking about here?

Yes, I forgot to mention that. The Doli are enormous, approximately 1 metre tall, the pot in the background that you can't really see from the picture is one of the biggest and it is perfectly intact. I wanted to take a clear picture without any people in the background but it's impossible because Ikea is always crowded..so I had to cut parts of the picture. As far as the building goes I have no clue about its size because it is currently buried under Ikea,I have only seen a drawing that shows how the warehouse was supposed to look like originally.

There's another site at about 500 metres from where the doli were found but it seems more recent, late imperial period. I'm still trying to gather information about it before posting the picture.