UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Glass Dildos and Palaeolithic Bronzes: Why Private Collections Are Not

Viggen

...we also stopped by the Medusa Glass Museum, which is a stunning private collection of ancient glass hosted in a charmingly restored Antep house. It's hard to overstate the quality of the materials - the place is packed with Roman glass and jewelry. It's all completely unprovenienced, of course, and no doubt was all pulled from tombs by looters not too long ago. Not sure how they got the collection legalized. Despite the quality of the stuff on display, but there's a total lack of quality control on the labels, with hilarious results. This one is labeled 'ROMAN TIME SEXUAL OBJECT'.

...read the full story at Archaeopop

...my favourite is 'BREAST PUMP, 2nd Century AD'

hmmm... it could have been used for 'cupping' - I believe thats what the process is called, by which a glass vessel is warmed and the open end placed over a part of the body, often to draw various fluids. It would probably work as a breast pump employed in this manner, but to me the bowl of the object looks far too fragile. a perfume / oil bottle, maybe?

Edited by Northern Neil