UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Drill Hall!?

gilius

The Birdoswald guidebook states that one building within the fort (with visible remains) was a Drill Hall. Is there any other examples of this building type from Romano-British forts or could they be mistaken in their identification?

I think the guidebook is refering to the cross hall of the Principia. Although probably correct, it is still an assumption, as I believe there is no direct evidence that cross halls were used in this manner. Although cross halls in legionary fortresses were probably large enough to fulfil this role, IMHO the cross halls of auxilliary forts may be a bit on the small side.

Edited by Northern Neil

The Birdoswald guidebook states that one building within the fort (with visible remains) was a Drill Hall. Is there any other examples of this building type from Romano-British forts or could they be mistaken in their identification?

I think the guidebook is refering to the cross hall of the Principia. Although probably correct, it is still an assumption, as I believe their is no direct evidence that cross halls were used in this manner. Although cross halls in legionary fortresses were probably large enough to fulfil this role, IMHO the cross halls of auxilliary forts may be a bit on the small side.

I don't think the remains are in the right place to be the Crosshall/Principia. I think the guidebook is referring to a completely different building. I will check again later to confirm, but the building in question is pretty much in the corner, behind the granaries, away from the middle.

There's no evidence the Romans used drill halls at all. Everything points to drills being conducted out of doors, and if the weather is inclement, tough (should have bribed the centurion or learnt how to read). The Romans were practical types and coping with bad weather would be handy for campaigning. We know the Romans liked, at least in theory, to perform regular drills and route marches, especially during a conflict or afterward until the laziness crept in.

I know the one you mean. The 'basilica exercitatoria'. It is allegedly the only example found (so far) in any Auxilliary Roman fort in Britain. This leads one to believe that something similar has been identified in other forts. I know of none!

This clearly is just speculation. It has the whiff of an off-the-cuff comment by some expert or other, that has been given too much emphasis because there are no other theories.

Pinch of salt to be taken, but the building is certainly unique along the Hadrian's Wall forts.