UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Funding Hadrian's Wall

Guest North West Frontier

Maybe sell reconstruction bricks with the name of the benefactor : there is a roman tradition (I remember some aqueduc in northern africa had every stone/brick stamped...) and modern exemples like Saddam's printing his name on every new brick for his rebuilding of Babylone's walls...

It would be one of those "eternity" actions that seems so popular, like sending one's name into deep space, and could make people feel part of both past and future...

Bryaxis,

they even did something like in Calgary for 1988 Winter Olympics, unfortunately I can remember the context. One day I will google it.

Googled.

There was a substantial social impact as well. From the unprecedented volunteer involvement in staging the Games, a program was put in place where ordinary Calgarians could purchase, for $19.88 in the summer of 1986, a brick at the main medal presentation plaza called the Olympic Plaza Olympic Plaza (Calgary)The Olympic Plaza is an urban park and gathering place in downtown Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Located around Macleod Trail and 7th Avenue S., it was created as the venue for the medal ceremonies at the 1988 Winter Olympic Games...

with their names laser-engraved on it. The involvement of ordinary Calgarians was evident. This was of paramount importance to the organizing committee, OCO'88, as it kept the Games from appearing distant and "out of reach". Over 10,000 volunteers helped make the these games possible.

Edited by Artimi

Hi NWF, and welcome to UNRV. Hadrian's Wall is a topic very dear to my heart/job.

Working in the tourist industry, I do believe that more could be done to attract tourist cash, especially from overseas vistors.

What I've found is that people do love to see reconstructions, and there are so few of these along the wall line itself. Ironically the only reconstruction of a short stretch of the wall itself is not on the wall line, but at Vindolanda, and the best reconstructions are at Arbeia, which goes completely unknown to 99% of wall visitors. I always felt that Walltown Quarry was a much underused resource in this respect. On the wall line, but all archeology having been quarried away. What better place to put a reconstruction milecastle or similar?

Also, how many wall visitors stray further than Housesteads or Vindolanda? Not many, I bet.

I would readily be a 'Friend of Hadrian's Wall' by the way.

Thanks for the input so far and yes there is plenty more that could be done to promote the area but money to do so is very thin on the ground at the moment, hence the attempts to secure alternative funding presently.

I agree that a rebuilt section would be fantastic and that may well be a long term aspiration - there is a small section at Segedunum too though.

But our organisation is more than just getting people to come and visit, we are in charge of the management plan for the World Heritage Site and are overseeing a huge capital investment programme - well, we will do if we can get some big donations and support.

The brick idea is one that has been discussed too and may be possible working alongside the Great North Museum.

Thanks again.

I find myself in a bit of a quandry with this request since as far as I can can determine from the web the management of Hadrian's Wall appears to still ultimately be under the aegis of English Heritage as they were when I last checked an English Heritage members book.

Now if this is no longer the case it may be beneficial for Hadrian

Most members of English Heritage and the other Heritage organisations in the UK with joint visiting rights, who may be unaware of separate management arrangements for Hadrian's Wall will probably be confused by this thread.

I'm one, I was, and so I am.

I agree that a rebuilt section would be fantastic and that may well be a long term aspiration - there is a small section at Segedunum too though.

You're absolutely right - I'd forgotten all about that one.

I find myself in a bit of a quandry with this request since as far as I can can determine from the web the management of Hadrian's Wall appears to still ultimately be under the aegis of English Heritage as they were when I last checked an English Heritage members book.

Now if this is no longer the case it may be beneficial for Hadrian