UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

List of Roman Visitor Sites in the UK

GhostOfClayton

I've just created a new template on Wikipedia called 'Roman Visitor Sites in the UK'. You can find it at this URL.

The criteria I've posed for inclusion (shown on the discussion page) are:

1. The site must be located within the UK

2. The site must have significant Roman remains, artefacts or recreations on display.

3. The site must either charge admission, or have facilities for visitors (e.g. visitor centre, gift shop) over and above access facilities (car park, etc)

Museums could be considered for inclusion if they are almost exclusively Roman in theme, especially if occupying a Roman site.

So, the question is, can you think of any more, and do you agree with the criteria?

I'm aware I still need to set up categories.

I take it you mean sites like the Corinium Museum in Cirencester and the Tullie House Museum in Carlisle with its extensive Roman Frontier gallery which are both currently missing. :whistling:

BTW I am not sure that I agree with excluding larger museums as several have very important Roman collections ie the BM but also the Museum of London and on that basis you could probably also include the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow.

I cannot check from this PC but I suspect that some of the Scottish Heritage managed Roman sites are staffed so have entry fees and may need to be included in your list.

I take it you mean sites like the Corinium Museum in Cirencester and the Tullie House Museum in Carlisle with its extensive Roman Frontier gallery which are both currently missing. :whistling:

BTW I am not sure that I agree with excluding larger museums as several have very important Roman collections ie the BM but also the Museum of London and on that basis you could probably also include the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow.

I cannot check from this PC but I suspect that some of the Scottish Heritage managed Roman sites are staffed so have entry fees and may need to be included in your list.

It's good feedback, Melvadius, and thanks very much for it. I thought long and hard about the museums without really coming up with any satisfactory reasoning - hopefully we'll get more opinions.

You noticed I excluded Tullie House (I admit to never having heard of Corinium Museum), but did include Carvoran. This was because Tullie is a mixed museum with a significant (and permenantly displayed) Roman collection, and Carvoran is exclusively Roman. The British Museum was perhaps the one that guided my rationale most. Its Roman collections probably outnumber and outclass any other museum in the country, but I would hesitate to call it a Roman Visitor Site. And where are lines drawn as you move down the scale?

I must admit to know knowing of any paid Roman visitor site in Scotland, so any information you have wuld be gratefully received. My knowlege of Caerwent, Caerleon and Wales is also sketchy.

. . . and by the way. If anyone is interested in helping me out doing something similar for other countries, I'd love the opportunity.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I must admit to know knowing of any paid Roman visitor site in Scotland, so any information you have wuld be gratefully received. My knowlege of Caerwent, Caerleon and Wales is also sketchy.

The main Antonine Wall sites seem to all be free access so probably don't fit your criteria. Possibly this should be more prominently flagged on the page rather than on the discussion to it?

With a quick search the only dedicated museum in Scotland I could find was this one related to the Roman military fort at Trimontium in southern Scotland although I believe it is a only open during summer months (April to the end of October ) and is in Melrose, the nearest town, which is about a mile from the actual site of the fort.

Hi Ghost of Clayton,

I've looked at your list and can add some more to it. I'm curious as to why you are excluding Roman sites that are free to visit. There are some incredible sites that I would recommend visiting that are free - Hardknott Fort on top of Hardknott Pass and Caerwent(Venta Silurum) town in Wales for instance.

Anyway here are my contributions:

Forts - Binchester, Chesters, Ribchester

Museums - certainly Corinium in Cirencester, also Roman Museum in Canterbury, Senhouse Roman Museum in Maryport, St. Alban's Verulamium museum (has some great mosaics), Roman Legionary Museum in Caerleon, Camulodunum/Colchester Castle - has a lot of Roman exhibits but not exclusively Roman

The Roman theatre of Verulamium in St. Albans also charges an admission.

The Jewry Wall in Leicester is free to visit but the attached museum charges an entrance fee (it is exclusively Roman but fairly small).

About Caerleon and Caerwent in Wales: the sites of the barracks and the amphitheatre are free to visit, as is the museum but the Fort Baths has an admission charge. Caerwent is a town site that is free to visit (the town's walls go almost completely around and are very high) but there are no Bath ruins there (which you have on your list).

Silchester (on your list) is free to visit and there are no facilities there for visitors (at least there wasn't when I visited 4 years ago).

The main Antonine Wall sites seem to all be free access so probably don't fit your criteria. Possibly this should be more prominently flagged on the page rather than on the discussion to it?

With a quick search the only dedicated museum in Scotland I could find was this one related to the Roman military fort at Trimontium in southern Scotland although I believe it is a only open during summer months (April to the end of October ) and is in Melrose, the nearest town, which is about a mile from the actual site of the fort.

I'll have a look how to best highlight the criteria whilst remaining within Wikipedia guidelines - otherwise the Wikipolice will come down on me a darn site faster than Her Majesty's police came down on the looters!

Thanks for the info on the Trimontium Museum. Being an exclusively Roman museum, I have included it, and also created a new line for Roman Museums.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Hi Ghost of Clayton,

I've looked at your list and can add some more to it. I'm curious as to why you are excluding Roman sites that are free to visit. There are some incredible sites that I would recommend visiting that are free - Hardknott Fort on top of Hardknott Pass and Caerwent(Venta Silurum) town in Wales for instance.

Anyway here are my contributions:

Forts - Binchester, Chesters, Ribchester

Museums - certainly Corinium in Cirencester, also Roman Museum in Canterbury, Senhouse Roman Museum in Maryport, St. Alban's Verulamium museum (has some great mosaics), Roman Legionary Museum in Caerleon, Camulodunum/Colchester Castle - has a lot of Roman exhibits but not exclusively Roman

The Roman theatre of Verulamium in St. Albans also charges an admission.

The Jewry Wall in Leicester is free to visit but the attached museum charges an entrance fee (it is exclusively Roman but fairly small).

About Caerleon and Caerwent in Wales: the sites of the barracks and the amphitheatre are free to visit, as is the museum but the Fort Baths has an admission charge. Caerwent is a town site that is free to visit (the town's walls go almost completely around and are very high) but there are no Bath ruins there (which you have on your list).

Silchester (on your list) is free to visit and there are no facilities there for visitors (at least there wasn't when I visited 4 years ago).

Thanks for the invaluable input, Ummidia. I have added / corrected those you mentioned, so far with exception of Colchester Castle

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I'm not sure what the answer is to having a criteria. If you keep it to having an admission then some great sites are missed. Who do you have in mind when you are making the list? Who is this list for? Decide on that and it should help with the criteria.

I have to say I was disappointed with Silchester. The sign said they were the best preserved town walls in England but if you visit Caerwent (which I know is not in England but in Wales) they are pretty dismal in comparison. Caerwent is great because people live within the walls, there is a church there, as well as remains of the Roman forum, a temple, houses and shops.

I added Colchester Castle strictly as a museum because there aren't any remains to speak of. You can go down underneath the castle and see the remains of the foundations of Claudius' Temple which is kind of neat but no other ruins. Whereas Portchester Castle has some impressive Roman walls.