UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Capital of Moesia Inferior

lothia

Ave Civitas,

I have another problem, this one concerning Roman administration.

Diocletian subdivided the province of Lower Moesia into Moesia Inferior and Scythia Minor.

Prior to that time Tomis was the captial of Moesia Inferior. After the division, I imagine, but can not verify, that Tomis became the capital of Scythia Minor since it would be within its boundaries.

My question is then, what became the new capital of Moesia Inferior. I have searched my texts and searched on-line and can find Tomis identified several times, but nothing after the partition.

Thanks, you guys are great.

Tom

Maybe this list could be a place to start your research. Hope so.

Hi Ghost of Clayton,

That was a really informative link that led me to many more. Thank you very much, however, it did not identify the capital of Lower Moesia after the Diocletian provincial reforms.

Great link, great information.

Thanks.

Tom

That was a really informative link that led me to many more. Thank you very much, however, it did not identify the capital of Lower Moesia after the Diocletian provincial reforms.

It was a long shot. Maybe no-one knows. If you Do find the answer, don't forget to update the relevant entry on WP.

Ave,

Okay, I finally did find out. After the Diocletian divisions, Macrianopolis was the provincial capital and Tomi the capital of Scythia inferior.

Look at : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Balkans_6th_century.svg

Thanks for all your help. Do appreciate it.

Tom