UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I thought slavery was illegal

Artimi

Although slavery is illegal, you don't have to look too far back along the supply chain of your clothes to find it has been replaced by something just as bad (in many ways), yet legal.

Though the "sweatshop" atmosphere does probably violate several labor laws, in the case of the Amazon warehouse, technically it isn't slavery because people ultimately have a choice whether or not they want to work there.

I am displeased to find out Amazon treats its employees so. I'll have to think twice about ordering from there (which puts a damper on the recent Amazon contest among premium members).

Though the "sweatshop" atmosphere does probably violate several labor laws, in the case of the Amazon warehouse, technically it isn't slavery because people ultimately have a choice whether or not they want to work there.

Very much the case in the USA. There are many third world communities where the choice is "sweatshop" type labour or starvation.

In the article it did mention the warehouse is located in an economically depressed area so the workers have 4 options, quit and try to find another job in the area, quit and move , quit and starve or endure.

on top of my list of things to do....

stop reading anything.....

except I am addicted to reading.

I have no answer... I think that is why I like ancient times..

Slavery will never be fully eradicated. Part of human psychology responds favourably to the idae that people can made to serve at a whim, or be thought of as property. Most of us wouldn't conciously enslave but notice what happens at work if your manager discovers you have influence he doesn't.

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

Slavery will never be fully eradicated. Part of human psychology responds favourably to the idae that people can made to serve at a whim, or be thought of as property. Most of us wouldn't conciously enslave but notice what happens at work if your manager discovers you have influence he doesn't.

Esp. True between men and women in Marriage ore Relationship :lol:

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/09/140301823/amazon-agrees-to-collect-state-tax-in-california

Cash strapped states going after Amazon for sales tax. Other states like Connecticut are pursuing this, even if Amazon doesn't have any physical presence in their state.

I know one of the major draws to me for Amazon was the fact I didn't have to pay any sales tax on books. Once other states catch on and force Amazon to pay taxes, Amazon will be less attractive to consumers.