UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GhostOfClayton

What's there to see in St Albans?

I shall be in St Albans on 22nd October, and (as usual) would like to take the opportunity to see the local Roman remains. Anyone know what there is to see? What museums to go to? etc.

All you can wish to know you should find here for the main Roman museum and the site but basically the Verluanium Museum is a must see and don't forget to try opening the drawers beneath the display cases there is a wealth of additional items tucked away there.

Obviously the Theatre to the west of the site is worth a look particularly if you can locate them and check its relationship to the earlier Iron Age monument sites on the hill to the NNE. Within the park area, which contains the original town walls and the Museum, there is a building containing a hypocaust and several small sections of wall still standing notably the area to the SSE with the associated ravine.

Firstly, thanks to Melvadius. I did find my way to St Albans last Saturday afternoon, and here is my report:

Sadly, due to other commitments, I only arrived in St Albans at about 2:30pm, so I didn't see any of the town itself. If you are visiting by car, just follow the brown tourist signs to Roman Verulamium. This will deposit you at the car park beside Verulamium museum. I can't really comment on arriving by bus or train - sorry. Anyway, first thing to say is that the car park was full (on a sunny Saturday afternoon). If you find it full, my advice is to wait it out, and a space will become available. Second piece of advice is that everything Roman can be accessed from this car park - don't be tempted to drive to the Roman theatre.

The next thing you need to knnow id that much of the old Roman city of Verulamium lies beneath what is now Verulameum Park - a huge park lying the other side of the river from the city itself.

OK. My first visit was Verulamium Museum. This is quite a new building, with excellent displays. It has the air of having been carefully thought out with different little areas covering different themes. It was well attended too, being very busy for a museum, I thought. Good news! Plenty of interested people with well-behaved children, despite the balance of the content and presentation tending slightly towards the adult visitor. The cost was