UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Learning It All...

skel

well im sure you all know simply from being here that i have an interest in ancient history. well ive been trying to learn as much as i can but its all been scattered interests. a lil roman here, a lil greek there... a lil persian mixed with some scythian and celt. i have plans to become a history teacher in the future and im wonder, where is a good solid place to begin learning about ancient history? what should i start with? learning it all in this scattered pattern that ive been doing isnt helping me retain much that i have learned. and since there is no ancient history class in my school, i must do this all on my own untill i can get into a college for it.

"Handbook to life in Ancient Rome" by Adkins and Adkins.

"Handbook to life in Ancient Greece" by Adkins and Adkins.

"Handbook to life in Ancient Egypt" by Rosalie David.

Each book gives you a sound intro to the respective culture, and offers a suggested bibliography at the end of each topic where you can do more in-depth study.

I'm less well versed with other cultures, but "The Etruscans" my Michael Grant is good.

I could recommend a few very basic books on the Celts if you're interested.

I think the first ancient source material I read was Suetonius, and I must admit I was hooked. I've said it before in other threads... we really have to be careful with his work (as there's alot of gossip) but it's highly entertaining, mixed with fact, and is a wonderful introduction to Roman culture.

PM i am reading The Histories now, not as intently as i should as im so busy with my art and other things (since school will be ending soon and im graduating and all...) but when im done with it i intend to re-read it and take some good notes.

also for the books you mentioned ursus, would they be things i could find at my loacl library? or would i have to look on amazon.com for them?

is there a specific date i should start learning from? i mean, i dont want to get into like prehistoric history nstuff although that is rather interesting :(

What interests YOU skel? Are you a fan of the story of Caesar... partial to Hannibal, Scipio and the Punic Wars... Prefer the empire at the height of its power under the 5 good emperors, etc?

Start with something you are interested in. The more you like a 'subject' the more likely you are to devote full attention and you will get the most out of it. By getting the most out of it you might also untap new areas of interest. For example, you might be reading about Caesar and may find yourself totally baffled by Plebes, Patricians, Optimates, Populares, etc. and your next reading may be a look at the social and political structure of Rome...

well what interests me about rome is its military power. im fascintated by ancient wars and such. when learning about wars and how people faught back then i have found an interesting in WHAT they wore when they fought and why they wore it and things like that. rome is just a plethora (sp?) of military action :( im am most fascinated with scythians right now though... although its hard to find things on scythians as im founding out.

in the Histories, when i get to a part about fighting im hooked, but once its done i loose interest again...

i know very little about caesar short of the shakespeare play on him. but all that you mentioned deal with military action so it interests me...

also for the books you mentioned ursus, would they be things i could find at my loacl library? or would i have to look on amazon.com for them?

Depends on the quality of your local library. You'd know better than I would. But the amazon prices aren't too bad, and you can usually find cheap used copies on amazon as well.

well what interests me about rome is its military power

Then I'll leave you in the hands of primus pilus and the others, as that area is not quite my forte. Although _Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome_ does have a section on the military with a bibliography for more in depth study.