UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Legionary Of The Mid-late 2nd Century Ad

From what I know , I believe that the Lorica Segmentata was used through to the late 2nd century and was replaced by the Scale Armour (Can't remember its name offhand). The helmet we use is the Gallic type helmet and I think the Pompeii type gladius. Hope this helps.

I am not so sure about the gallic helmets being used that late....maybe the Italic H

This is how I picture the legionary during that time of period...

cfrr091nq.gif

Imperial Italic H

Lorica Segmentata -Newstead or Alba Iulia

Leather Breeches (during a cold weather)

Gladius Pompeii

Pugio - wasn't issued anymore

Picture is more or less right me thinks, expect the baldric and lack of dagger, the sword should be on a belt across the waist with the dagger of the left(of Course) at the time the squared off Scutum was in use as well, the baldric is a late legionarry use when the sword was moved of to the left of the body in the first half of the 3rd century

Picture is more or less right me thinks, expect the baldric and lack of dagger, the sword should be on a belt across the waist with the dagger of the left(of Course) at the time the squared off Scutum was in use as well, the baldric is a late legionarry use when the sword was moved of to the left of the body in the first half of the 3rd century

"The legionaries carried a dagger starting in the 2nd or 1st centuries BC. During the rein of Augustus the gladius was carried on one belt and the pugio hung on another. By the 2nd century AD daggers were no longer issued."

Scource : http://www.redrampant.com/roma/weapons.html

"Below a first - second century AD soldier`s belt, the cingulum, to carry the dagger (pugio). The short sword (gladius) was usually carried using a thin leather belt over the shoulder, the so-called balteus."

source : http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipme...t-cingulum.html

69 AD

AF69.jpg

Ave Victrix,

There are a few suggestions I might make as someone who reenacts Hadrianic era legionaries.

Firstly, Pugio, since they're on the mind. We have evidence of Pugio dating from the 3rd CBC to the 1st CAD and then again in the 3rd and 4th CAD. While it is true that there is an archological shortage in the second century, the return of their record later suggests that they probably remained in use in some fashion. Though I seems likely that their use became more limited.

Also the belts of the 2 CAD changes extensively from the 1st, especially after Antoninus Pius. The heavily plated and cingulumed Balteus went out of fashion, and were replaced by less ornate belts with open work plates and no apron. Also no archologically known dagger frogs. So, if the pugio was worn, the suspension system changed. Probably toward the slide suspension that became common on swords towards the end this period. Also, later Pugio's tended to have carved wooden sheaths with occasional decorative plates, which might paritally explain their limited archological evidence.

Speaking of swords, the Pompeii type you have illustrated is on the way out by 160 AD. They are being replaced by ring pommel swords in wooden cases without all the plate work and leather. The Pompeii blade pattern is still common but the furniture was changing. By the dawn of the 3rd CAD it is likely that many Legionaries carried Spata instead of Gladius.

Your Illustration also shows Caligae. We know from the extensive archeological evidence at Vindolanda that they were not in use in the 2nd CAD. Probably not even at the time of the Dacian wars, dispite their presence on Trajan's Collumn. The footwear of the 2nd was all closed toe and bootlike. Actually quite modern in appearance. See The Florentius Project for more information on these shoes, and for other reconstructions of various Hadrianic era items.

The breeches or Braccae were of wool and usually red brown in color if Vegetius is to be belived (likely). They should fit snugly, like tight jeans, and have the fabric cut on the bias to allow stretching.

The helmets of the late second century are likely to be hold overs of the later Italic types, G and later. Italic G dates from 127 and would have been serviceable into the 180's or so. Also, the Guttman Neitermortimer Italic H helmet dated from about 160 and if you are planning to reenact or illustrate this later period, no more attractive helmet exists. You can see it on Legion Six's Real Gear webpage.

The Segmentata is correct though it should be of the Newstead type with much larger hinges and the tie loops replaced by cotter pin mounts. Below is a good example

LMU%20Diogenes.jpg

The Alba Iulia is a different fish alltogether it is not seqmentata at all but some kind of lammelar. I wouldn't try this route without extensive further study and the blessing of Dr Bishop, who wrote the book on these things and dosn't care to speculate.

The other thing that you can do as a late 2nd trooper is wear Pturges under your armor. That's the Leather skirt operation that facinates Hollywood. It's right on officers throughout Roman History, but sometime in the mid to late 2nd Century, it became acceptable for millites

Hope this helps. Feel free to post more questions.

wow CenPrinCohILegVIVictPF!

Thanks for the info!!

The reason I brought this topic up, is because I am currently working on a video game project called Reign. Which is based on Roman wars during the rule of Marcus Aurelius, and I was wondering if you could make me a list of legionary's equipment during that time of period. By that I mean type of armour, weaponry, clothes...