UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Women

Ursus

Don't forget that during the late Severan period Roman politics were dominated by three women: Julia Maesa and her two daughters Julia Soaemias (mother of the Emperor Elagabalus) and Julia Mamaea (Mother of the Emperor Alexander Severus).

Each one of these women seemed have taken advantage of their offspring's youth--and in the case of Julia Soaemias her son's love of decadence--and were able to treat them as a ciper to their commands.

During the reign of Alexander Severus, Julia Mamaea even went as far as governing the Empire with a group of advisors and subordinates; one may even refer to her as Rome's first Empress.

Edited by WotWotius

Is it Just me or does Jerome Carcopino come off as rather old fashioned in the book? I know it was published over 60 years ago but I thought his attitudes towards the rights of women were very Victorian and it made the book seem much older than it was. Still a really good book though

As AD said about my quote from Carcopino ,as regards resinous wine, the style and manner of the book tell us a lot about Carcapino's attitudes whilst still giving us an insight into the past. Im reviewing this book shortly for the Forum.