UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Eastern Empire Vs Western Empire

Guest tasmanian

Guest tasmanian

Could someone give me a lecture on this topic ?

I am not sure if i am right or not, as far as I understand, the Roman empire was divided into 2 empire during the middle ages. one of them know as Byzantine Empire, and was ruled by Emperor Constantine I in A.D. 330. Could anyone give me some idea why the Eastern Empire ends up becoming the most stable force in the known world after being given governing status only two centuries earlier, what are the elements that make it such stability? what is if different from the west that made the west empire collapsed ? I just can't find any online resources on this topic. thanks

Welcome Tasmanian

The Empire was split from an administrative standpoint in the mid to late 3rd century, and became two officially separate entities under Theodosius by the late 4th century (approx. AD 396). Constantine established Constantinople as a new eastern capital and ruled from there, but the two halves still worked together, in theory, for the good of the whole.

This thread Rome/Constantinople has several views related to the subject.

A terribly too brief synopsis...

One fell while the other survived because they were two completely independent functional entities by the late 5th century AD. The east was not as crippled as the west was by such things as economic collapse and barbarian invasion. Some of this was due to simple geopgraphy, some was due to superior imperial administration, etc. In addition, the east absorbed the concept of Christianity and truly made it a part of the culture rather than allow it to breakdown their social ideals.