UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Help! Need An Original Source From The Punic Wars.

jamesk

I'm doing an annotated bibliography for my HIS Western Civ class. My topic is the Punic Wars. I need an original print source. For example: A book by Aristotle is an original source on Aristotle, A newspaper article written during the U.S. Civil War is an original source on that time period.

Does anyone know of an original source I can use for the Punic Wars? Is there someone who wrote about the Punic Wars during that time period, if so, would you know the book?

Thanks

The following ancient historians covered the Punic Wars:

Appian - The Roman History

Cato the Elder - an important figure of the time, wrote 'Origines' though its now lost :(

Cassius Dio - among the most repective ancient historians but unfortunately only fragments of this period of his work survive

Diodorus Siculus - fragments survive

Livy - a complete history of the Punic Wars available in several versions (look for Livy Punic Wars)

Cornelius Nepos - biographies of Hannibal and Hamilcar

Plutarch - biographies of the Roman generals Fabius and Marcellus (the biography of Scipio is lost :()

Polybius - A contemporary of Scipio Africanus and his and Livy's accounts are the most important

So to answer your question, Polybius or Cato. Though you obviously can't reference Cato in any way, since it no longer exists.

I also need the following: one scholarly journal article, two magazines or other articles. I found some articles at my library using the EBSCO database search. Does anyone know of any scholarly journals and magazines that can be found online that pertain to (ancient) history, that have had an issue to do with the Punic Wars?

Thank you so much, James.