UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Hospitallers

Honorius

Im sorry if this topic isnt meant to be here but i didnt know where else to post it...

Do any of you guys know any good books on the knights of the Hospital-Knights of St John who were in the crusades and on the island of rhodes and malta...

And any good boooks on the battle of Lepanto

thanx.. :D

• 8 months later...
Guest jagatt
Im sorry if this topic isnt meant to be here but i didnt know where else to post it...

Do any of you guys know any good books on the knights of the Hospital-Knights of St John who were in the crusades and on the island of rhodes and malta...

And any good boooks on the battle of Lepanto

thanx.. :D

Are you looking for books on coins of the Knights of Malta or general Books on the Knight themselves

• 3 weeks later...

Osprey - who publish a wide range of military books in the UK, have a cheap and colourful book on this subject (maybe two). It provides pictures of the knight's clothing and also a fairly reliable text on the history of the Order.

There was a new title on Lepanto (hardback in the UK about 2 years ago) which I have, but cannot find. I'll try to look it out. As i recall it was a good read.

Phil

I personally would recommend, for general Crusade history, the Crusades by Jonathan-Ryle. He gives a pretty good history of the hospitallers, greatly into context and how they eventually militarized. The book however does not go much into the military aspects of it. It tends to focus much more on the social aspects of the church at the time, organization of the military(numbers) etc.

Edited by Divi Filius

Yes.

Indeed I have to admit the book is dull, and his page by page account of the organization of the churches and social and military institutions of the Crusade almost put me to sleep at some point, but nevertheless they are very well detailed and documented. This includes the info on the Hospitallers.