UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mystery of Palmyra's water supply solved

Phys Org is carrying this report on results of recent landscape analysis using satellite photographs into the area surrounding Ancient Palmyra:

In ancient Roman times A.D., Palmyra was the most important point along the trade route linking the east and west, reaching a population of 100 000 inhabitants. But its history has always been shrouded in mystery: What was a city that size doing in the middle of the desert? How could so many people live in such an inhospitable place nearly 2 000 years ago? Where did their food come from? And why would such an important trade route pass directly through the desert?

Norwegian researchers collaborated with Syrian colleagues for four years to find answers.

you teased us without revealing the runoff catchment theory. I hope they have considered wells into entrapped fossil water, which is so abundant in dry parts of africa and even the us. The norwegians may have a bias in hoping for some wiley sustainable technique that is supposed to shame us moderns. The opposite is often true, such as evidence of ecoside by early south american indian agriculture.

May not take a deep well... i got stranded in the dessicated center of the sahara once due to noshow french tour leader. Water was widely abundant at or near the surface due to lush climate a jillion years ago. I subsisted on a bunch of dry powder lemonade mix i had brought, instead of food. I guess algeria has been massively pumping this ancient reservoir down, but some other factor could have led to disappearance of palmyra water table, such as a tilting of rockbed layers.

Edited by caesar novus

Ps, here is a link on syria archeo looting including a palmyra war damage thing you can click on. Syria freedom seekers have of course been left twisting in the wind by the useless un and timid west. Today russian warships arrive to consolidate the existing tyranny. Reminds me of the way a weak kennedy actually incited khrushchev to try to take over west berlin, until jfk learned to show backbone. New accounts suggest even the cuban missle crises was only meant to be a bargaining chip for west berlin.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/06/06/destruction-looting-of-syrias-ancient-heritage-continues-repo/

Interesting article.

Page two of the article mentions a period that had "slightly wetter climate than today...well suited for grassing wild and domesticated animals...."

I have to believe that Palmyra 2000 years ago wasn't the barren desert it is today.

guy also known as gaius