UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Climate in Northern Europe Reconstructed for the Past 2,000 Years: Coo

An international team that includes scientists from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) has published a reconstruction of the climate in northern Europe over the last 2,000 years based on the information provided by tree-rings. Professor Dr. Jan Esper's group at the Institute of Geography at JGU used tree-ring density measurements from sub-fossil pine trees originating from Finnish Lapland to produce a reconstruction reaching back to 138 BC. In so doing, the researchers have been able for the first time to precisely demonstrate that the long-term trend over the past two millennia has been towards climatic cooling.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120709092606.htm

Yeah, I saw a National Geographic article a few years back that claimed global warming actually saved us from another Ice Age.

Why oh why did I ever doubt my geography teacher thirty five years ago? The man was a genius. He even saw though my usual 'fool-the-teacher' style of homework. A man before his time.