UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Death of Germanicus

P.Clodius

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we could all agree that a Germanicus principate is one of the great "What-Ifs" of Roman history. It probably would have meant no Sejanus, no reign of Caligula, no reign of Nero, and possibly the continuation of the Julio-Claudian line well beyond the point where Nero destroyed it.

Now back to the debate...

I don't think Primus is saying that if you go and read some more on the subject that you will change your opinion G. Nero, it's fairly obvious no one will. But he is perhaps saying that you will see why he has his, which you have so far been incapable of doing.

• 1 month later...

Wow, you certainly know your stuff Primus. I don't have much to add to the debate, apart from "Taccitus - The annals of Imperial Rome" is possibly the greatest book I have ever read, I see you're also a fan. I really wish that his accounts of the Germainc wars had survived beyond antiquity, as I found the brief passages in his more famous works to be the most interesting parts.

• 2 months later...