UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Message in a Bottle

Melvadius

The BBC is carrying this story of a world record breaking discovery of a 98 year old scientific experiment message in a bottle. Apparently he is due a 6d finders fee for recovering this bottle which was released as part of a scientific experiment into the tides around Scotland by the Glasgow School of Navigation which was then part of the Royal Technical College in 1914.

I wonder if the University of Strathclyde will honour that commitment by what was effectively one of their predecessor organisations ....and if they will take almost 100 years of inflation into account? :P

A Scottish skipper has set a new world record after finding a message in a bottle 98 years after it was released.

Andrew Leaper's discovery beat the previous record for the longest time a bottle has been adrift at sea by more than five years.

And he found the bottle while skippering the same fishing boat which had set the previous record, the Shetland-based vessel Copious.

Mr Leaper said: "It was an amazing coincidence."

The find has been confirmed as a new record by Guinness World Records.

...comntinued

Nice story! I wish they would have told us when the other 300 bottles were found thou... Sort of curious if it was right away or years later.

I have found a different and more informative article here at fishnewseu (The Scottish White Fish Producers' Association) which states in part that:

A BOTTLE used as part of an experiment to chart the undersea currents around Scotland has been found by a Shetland skipper