UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

greek music demo/lectures

caesar novus

There is a lecture/demo tour on greek music that has maybe 18 stops to go, and you might want to look for it. I saw the first, but cannot see the rest of the itinerary, maybe because google is limiting search to my gps area. Or if you read greek, maybe consult the web page of Dr. Nikos Xanthoulis Former Principal Trumpet Player Greek National Opera and Associate Researcher in the Academy of Athens.

His talk was nice, but his lyre playing drove part of his audience out the door. I thought of neros audiences who had to suffer that for many hours. He played hadrians favorite music, and i enjoyed the roman connection even if it was with a hellenophile gone astray.

What i liked was the greek trumpet playing, and it was by a pro who has several classical albums out with modern trumpet. His described it a bit differently than http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salpinx and had an extremely long salpinx modeled after the one in boston museum (legally acquired, he kindly noted). To me it looked like a take apart blowgun vastly longer than head high, but reduceable shorter as depicted with amazon female warriors or down to nothing into briefcase size. The sound was amazing for such a narrow thing... very rich and professional.