UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

During Tough Times do People have a tendency to fall back to Religion

When my World History professor was going over China, as soon as we reached the Warring States Period he began to talk about the codification and widespread acceptance of Confucianism and Taoism.

His comment went like this:

"The Warring States period was a time of instability and violence. As happens throughout history, during tough times people turn to religion as a thing to fall back on. And it was in this period that the philosophies of Confucianism and Taoism began to gain wide scale acceptance and organized into powerful institutions in Chinese culture."-My paraphrase.

He does state that Confucianism and Daoism aren't actually religions in the traditional sense but they gave a guide way for the people of the Warring States Period to live their lives just religions did and continue to do so in this modern age. So while they aren't technically religions, my professor stated they were something the Chinese people fell back on in this chaotic period for comfort and to survive the constant warfare and thus had an effect similar to religion.

Is this claim about having religion to fall back on in times of hardships true for other periods of history for other peoples who followed other religions?Could any put good examples?

I haven't seen specific figures quoted but by repute church attendance during WW2 in the UK at least initially went up and obviously there were church parades for those under arms.

I suspect it is a truism that having bombs dropped from a great height or takign older examples armies tramping back and forward over your crops and stealing your livestock will either turn you to religion or against it.

To paraphrase the tagline from the old joke -

Q. ...but you aren't a XXXX!

A. Now is not the time to be making enemies.

It just depends who is relating things afterwards which aspect comes to the fore.