UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Evidence of Viking Outpost Found in Canada

The National Geographic is carrying this story of the discovery of what seems to be fairly convincing evidence for the second known Viking site found in the America's after the onward leap from Greenland.

For the past 50 years

As the 2nd link I posted indicates the Dorset native Indians seem to have abandoned that part of Baffin island before the arrival of the Norse. However later evidence of a Norse coin dating to 1065-80 found in a native settlement on the coast of Maine along with Dorset tribal artefacts indicate some contact must have continued for at least half a century after the discovery of Vinland recorded in the Saga.

Of course personally I think it was all a set up as recorded in a wealth of detail by Harry Harrison back in 1967 in his 'biographical' work on the 'actual' reasons for the discovery of Vinland The Technicolor Time Machine;)

Can I recomend a read for anyone interested? The Technicolor Time Machine by Harry Harrison. It's not a refernce work, but a 1967 slightly comic, science fiction story. I loved it. It didn't take itself too seriously.