UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

About latifundia system

Truong Ung Minh

Hello everybody.

My name's Minh, 20 years old and I come from Viet Nam. I'm interesting in Ancient Rome history and I'm preparing for a essay about Latifundia system (sorry but will I wrong if write: Latifundia, or Latifundium? or....???) . I've search in google.com but I can't find much information about this, in my school's library it doesn't have many book about ancient Rome history and more difficult to look up economy of ancient Rome (and Latifundia is apart of this problem).

So I register and post this topic to ask an .... simple question (I think it is simple with you but for me it seem like complex!): Where I can find documentations about Latinfundia system? (on Internet)

----

I've read few line on en.wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latifundium), but they look like shortly and I don't be satificated with them.

----

My English grammar not well so you can understand what I say?

Thanks for your replies!

Hello Minh. I understood your requirement perfectly. In fact, you've now taught me a new word (I'd never heard of 'Latifundium'), so I look forward to seeing replies to this post.

I do remember a lecture about a religious practice of matching and outlining areas of the night sky on the land, but it doesn't sound like the two are the same.

There is a useful extract from the Oxford Classical Dictionary here. The section whihc has been grayed out is slightly less than double what is available free of charge. Ther key sections in it however cite the work by Columella Rust 1.3.12 and 1.7.6. A Version of Columella is available here on the Lacius Curtis site free of charge. (Columella Rust 1.7.6 means the relevant passage is in Columella De Re Rustica book 1, chapter 7 section 6).

THe OCD also cites K Greene The Archaeology of the Roman Economy and R.P. Duncan-Jones The Economy of the Roman Empire amongst other books as good sources.

Hello Minh. I understood your requirement perfectly. In fact, you've now taught me a new word (I'd never heard of 'Latifundium'), so I look forward to seeing replies to this post.

I do remember a lecture about a religious practice of matching and outlining areas of the night sky on the land, but it doesn't sound like the two are the same.

Oh!I've used this word: LATIFUNDIA as same as en.wikipedia.org, this is a landed property of Roman history.

Oh!I've used this word: LATIFUNDIA as same as en.wikipedia.org, this is a landed property of Roman history.

I'm sort of assuming 'Latifundia' is plural, and 'Latifundium' is singular. Maybe one of the Latin speakers could put me right?

There have been several discussion threads on this site that at least mention latifundia you can find these by clicking the search box at the top right of this screen and putting latifundia into the search criteria. Some of the discussions include links to other books or sites with more specific information which you may find useful unfortunbately I do not have the time at present to go through the threads to extract the relevant links myself.

That is correct!

Ta muchly.

Edited by GhostOfClayton