UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caesar novus

stripping ancient rome on tv

There was a documentary on one of the discovery channels deconstructing parts of ancient rome. I think you can bring it up on the web, if not catching a rebroadcast. I was puzzled by their speculation of why the crater lake overflowed, because the same scenario in modern camaroon lakes killed most folks due to the flow of (heavy) co2 rather than water flow (which the romans recorded).

Ancient City: Rome

Strip The City uses stunning CGI animation to strip the Ancient city of Rome naked of its concrete, roads and rock

This looks like just the kind of thing I love to watch; proper 'boys-own' telly! (With respect to all the girls who would love it, as well). If anyone finds details that will help me get to watch it, please do post them here.

ha ha ha  I  think most girlies on here are already slightly aberrant ...  I hunker down to football and enjoy being logical.   Oh, once in a while I throw in some female trait to keep my husband on his toes ....

When I went to Rome nearly a decade ago .... I spent HOURS just walking the side/back alleys - still cobbled, Ancient and tall doors - and down along the Tiber - numbers don't mean much to me; but I still can't imagine all the water that was needed to keep people healthy back then ....  and the underground work - and how could they repair stuff back then?

It looks like it could be a very interesting documentary. It reminds me in some ways of the old History Channel series 'Engineering an Empire'. Still, it's nice to see a show about Rome that isn't about the emperors or the Roman army. Documentary makers ought to concentrate more on making shows about the social life of the Romans.

The whole series of cities is currently rerunning on the discovery science channel. It's a bit weak on logical content but has luscious highdef views once in a while worthy of freeze framing. I wonder if they are correct that 90% of roman aquaducts are underground, especially because they are only now finding the path of some of the tunnels. There seem to be teaser or maybe entire versions on the web, sometimes with lots of commercials. These may behave differently depending on your location.

Yesterday a canadian .ca site seemed to offer the whole film (it's one of those canuck subsidized documentaries) but now I can't find the site. Today I get some clips from http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/strip-the-city/videos/roman-hill-of-garbage.htm which starts with commercials and a clip that I think was missing from the actual show. Then it appears to go on to the actual show. You can try for other options with something like http://www.bing.com/search?q=strip+the+city+ancient+rome+discovery+science&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=strip+the+city+ancient+rome+discovery+science&sc=0-27&sp=-1&sk=

Edited by caesar novus

Hmm... i'm having the most trouble getting the reply box to accept any input. Anyway, i wanted to point out that the london episode also touches on the roman period, although as always in too brief scenes that benefit by freeze framing. They say london was uniquely blessed with brick making material due to the foot of the glaciers dumping just the right kind of rock flour on it. Sort of like the way rome was uniquely blessed with cement deposits from volcanos.