UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pisces Axxxxx

Snipers to remain in conquered areas long after the main force left

When I was watching The Big Red One a few days ago, the squad leader mentions caution as they marched through the urban areas of Corsica because even though the German army had already evacuated, there will be Snipers remaining and will try to take a kill.

At least one person in the squad would be wounded because of a sniper.

I notice in many other movies too like Saving Private Ryan they repeat the scenario. The enemy has evacuated the place but the Hardcore Elements (usually Snipers)remain to take cover in an abandoned building and wait for some of the good guys to walk up and then starts a slaughter spree.

Even the good guys are often portrayed as being so hardcore they will defend the area using a few well-trained special forces and many of them acts as snipers in the upcoming defense. Saving Private Ryan features one such scene where one of the American ranger hides in a tower and starts killing lots and lots of German soldiers.

IRL wouldn't it be more efficient for Snipers to follow the retreating army and set up ambush points elsewhere in less obvious areas? I mean snipers are mainly used as scouts aren't they and for a single sniper who took money to train it would be incredibly stupid for him to take the initiative and remain hiding in a captured city to start killing the invading army?