UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Probably A Dumb Question...

Guest Zembrius

Guest Zembrius

I beat that game Rome: Total War a few times (yes, I know.. game.. not real), but it's got me wondering. In the game, and in alot of stuff I read, I never see anything about there being more than one major city in each province, is that accurate? If not, are there any examples?

I don't know where you live of course but compare Roman provinces to any US state, European country, etc. today. Each has many cities with a single capital (which in the ancient world was generally the largest city). Generally speaking, there weren't as many cities as there are today, but in most cases there was assuredly more than one city, and at the very least several 'towns'.

The game is like that because if you had to conquer every single city that existed the game would take a year to complete. Unless you are one of those all night video gamers that don't eat or sleep. Have you played Rome Total Realism? If you have you'll notice they added some of those cities on the game map. And I've said enough. Don't wanna get bounced for discussing a game too much.

Don't wanna get bounced for discussing a game too much.

LOL, don't worry.

Well, I have to be careful because that game is like crack to me and I can go on forever about it. Fortunately for me I'm married and am forbidden from playing more than 30-45 minutes a day. Otherwise I'd be growing roots in my computer chair right now and subsisting off of miracle grow.

I beat that game Rome: Total War a few times (yes, I know.. game.. not real), but it's got me wondering.  In the game, and in alot of stuff I read, I never see anything about there being more than one major city in each province, is that accurate?  If not, are there any examples?

You might want to take a look at the Tabula Peutingeriana. It's a medieval copy of a Roman map thought to have been made in the 4th century but using information from older sources. It probably gives a decent idea of the density of towns and cities in the Empire. Edit: It's a bit awkward to figure out at first since the map was made to roll up and therefore distorted.

http://www.laputanlogic.com/articles/2004/...-0001-1002.html