UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar's Messiah - anyone seen it yet?

gilius

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my notes I took down from watching the documentary and reading the blog, but there is more info to be had from reading the book, including how Domitian wrote Acts as an adjunct to the gospels (also an upcoming work: the single strand). It's also worth understanding a bit more about the dead sea scrolls being an account more by the Jewish zealots, i.e. people mixed quite closely with the mainstream, rather than some isolated sect. Also the international team who worked on the dead sea scrolls would have us believe that most of the scrolls pre-date the era of Christianity when they are mostly 1st century, but evidence of that should be sought elsewhere other than this documentary. Anyway, here goes... 

The Julio-Claudian dynasty, ending with Emperor Nero, was bankrupting the Roman Empire, and the Judeans were planning a revolt. The Herods (non-Jewish Greco-Arabs) were client kings/tax collectors of the Roman conquered province of Judea and had previously destroyed the Maccabean dynasty. Every temple was required to have a statue of the Roman emperor besides those of the many Pagan gods. The Jews, a messianic movement with a series of Messiahs (AKA Christ), standing behind their holy books and monotheistic beliefs, rebelled against the Romans. Nero ordered his general Vespasian to crush the Jews, starting in the Galilee, capturing Josephus (who survived where 3 of his friends were crucified), to work alongside the Romans as an adopted member of the Flavian family deploying propaganda against the Jews. Nero committed suicide and the Flavians seized the throne. Titus destroyed the Temple of Jerusalem in AD 70. All treasures from the temple, including the famous Seven-Branch Candlestick, were displayed in public as the spoils of victory and can be seen on the triumphal arch of Titus in Rome

Christianity written by the Romans to pacify the Judaeans? That sounds like utter tosh to me. Christiabnity wasn't a unified movement (nor a majority one) at that time but rather a series of unconnected cults on the similar theme, and for that matter, regarded with some suspicioon by ordinary Romans who heard strange rumours of the cults practises.

The only reason I ever read the bible was to educate myself more about the Roman Empire! Nice to read about Paul travelling around all these different provinces... :)

This Bilbical-Roman scholar Joseph Atwill could be a Jesuit Whistleblower for all we know? :) I guess they thought now was a good time to reveal this 2000 year old mystery, since even the best scholars seem trapped in a world of biblical characters, not knowing they were fictitious characters. Nobody seemed to have even got close to figuring out the origin of Christianity, until now. 2,000 years.... quite disgusting really.... people and belief systems.