UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

Retro and grainy, but the satire remains fresh in TV reruns for Married with Children. All sorts of memorable song lyrics like for psycho dad or psycho mom, but try this blues snippet:

Coca Cola jingle: In India I tried a local lemon soda and remarked how it was far better than Coke. Apparently overheard by our proud guide, every 30 minutes a runner would materialize out of the crowds and hand me a bottle of lemon and take my empty back into the crowd - no charge. Anyway this clip also reminds me of visits to the Bombay movie theater in NYC.

Next I will insulate you from growing interest in Indian devotional vocal music. In India our group always complained that they only got Indian music on their hotel room radio. I loved it but my radio was often broken, so here I make up for that. My link below should point to a mix list that I maintain and can add to without posting updates here. Now it contains about 7 hour-long albums of songs, sometimes mapped into chapters so you can skip thru albums and maybe songs using various navigation controls:

Edited by caesar novus

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Elisa said:

...and some classic T-Rex

Wow. T-Rex! I haven’t thought about them for more than a decade. They were early glam rock, punk rock pioneers.

Here is an entertaining video of their jamming with Elton John.

15 hours ago, guy said:

Wow. T-Rex! I haven’t thought about them for more than a decade. They were early glam rock, punk rock pioneers.

Here is an entertaining video of their jamming with Elton John.

I had never seen this performance with Elton!
I was introduced to T-Rex's music while living in the UK. Marc Bolan died so young...

New Space Music by Brian Eno has vanished from youtube except for pretenders. It was the world's best lullaby music for non-distracting environments, and for some reason the full hour has migrated to archive.org: https://archive.org/download/BrianEnoNewSpaceMusic/Brian Eno - New Space Music.mp4 __ia_thumb.jpg

Edited by caesar novus

Here goes 3 more youtube mix lists that I maintain and each offer a set of songs I mostly already posted. You can navigate to next songs with arrow or whatever. Mix near the top above was entitled "Devotionals with Anuradha Paudwal", and here is "Classics from India":

Just below is "Misc. Catchy Songs":

And finally "Rhythms from Steve Reich":

Edited by caesar novus

Someone here once regretted not having their youtube music organized. Now I see you can somewhat do that with playlists, and here will show the six I made. Two kind of fringe ones are posted here for the first time. None of them offer a particularly good flow yet; more like pick and choose lists.

Misc. catchy songs

Rhythms from Steve Reich

Classics from India

Indian devotionals

Relaxing sounds

Small boat promo music

So maybe I needn't post here again, if I can instead slip new songs into these playlists. I have tried to feature worthwhile songs that are lesser known today and not in my offline collections of music.

Edited by caesar novus

Thank goodness things are opening up. 

Some of y'all may want to go back and substitute music videos for ones youtube has withdrawn. About 1% per month seem to vanish with a blacked out thumbnail here, but additional versions become available.  It took me forever to find the name of a Reich video that vanished, but I have now revived "Six Pianos" in my playlist.

By the way, the "Gypsy Queen" video that is probably a couple posts above deserves mention. It is not a Latino composition, but came from a Hungarian jazz guy that Carlos S. admires. Best known as the song always faded out on radio plays of "Black Magic Woman" which it was attached to, I think those were crimes against musicalia as it was a transcendentally superior song. Carlos is a little sloppy in this live version, but beats looking at an album cover.

I will include a couple favorite songs I now play even tho they are avail in my "catchy" playlist. The first is odd to be framed as a hippie anthem because the instrument playing and recording style seems a wonder of exquisite precision. Listen to live or casual versions and it all falls apart. Lastly is a repeat of Ella F's "Imagine My Frustration" in a shorter form that I posted long ago. I can sympathize with a comment there proposing it's maybe the greatest live recording ever made:

Edited by caesar novus

The song “Embryonic Journey” was written by Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane. He is really a friendly guy and a great guitar teacher. I first met me him in the early 90s at a guitar seminar. I was actually hesitant to meet him, however, remembering the adage “Never meet the people you admire, you’ll be disappointed.”  I was not disappointed and I’ve met Jorma several times since. Wonderful person.

Below is Jefferson Airplane playing a live concert on a rooftop in New York … one year before The Beatles.

• 1 month later...