UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

Frank Zappa / Ensemble Modern, Alte Oper, Frankfurt, Germany, 17 sept 1992. It was his last professional public appearance, as (prostate) cancer was spreading to such an extent that he was in too much pain to enjoy an event that he otherwise found "exhilarating".

Music lovers will be astonished at the influence The Wrecking Crew wielded over rock and pop music in the 1960s and early 1970s. These unsung instrumentalists were the de-facto backing band on hit records by The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny & Cher, Elvis, The Monkees and many more. These dedicated musicians brought the flair and musicianship that made the American “West Coast Sound” a dominant cultural force around the world.

Another outstanding fall asleep album. It shares the advantage of my hurricane soundtrack pick, which grabs your attention rather than just lullaby's. Lullaby's let your mind continue to race, but a slightly annoying property here diverts focus and tires your mind. Meditation bells:

• 2 weeks later...

More for the Rome video than the unrelated song, this really takes you back. Wiki sez Roman Holiday is "considered one of the most romantic films in cinema history ... nominated for multiple accolades, including 8 Academy Awards, with Hepburn winning for Best Actress; Peck also scored a BAFTA nomination for Foreign Actor." The bearded Albert was "nominated for his first Oscar as Best Supporting Actor" and later became legendary on TV (Green Acres cult screwball sitcom).

Actors of this period had interesting WW2 experiences, with Audrey Hepburn having fascist activist parents but almost starving in occupied Holland. Eddie Albert "toured Mexico as a clown and high-wire artist with the Escalante Brothers Circus, but secretly worked for U.S. Army intelligence, photographing German U-boats in Mexican harbors" then "was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for his actions during the invasion of Tarawa".

The film has a nice spirit but it's royalty worship doesn't age very well, and your classics streaming dollars would be better spent towards "The Seven Hills of Rome."

Edited by caesar novus

This must be the best white noise soundtrack, which even when played on a tiny device avoids the usual hiss and manages to mask lower frequency distractions. It's almost like floating down rapids on a river of heavy cream:

Edited by caesar novus

Oh no, Astrud Gilberto died a couple weeks ago. She made bossa nova accessible to the pop world, with her hit below being played nonstop 24/7 by a radio station that normally only played new unknown stuff for payola$. Also they all normally forbid songs over 3 minutes, which the original Portuguese version was. I found out another famous band always printed a fraudulent 2:57 on labels - street smarts that I lack.

Note the slightly predatory expression of the (skilled) hornplayer towards her. Her web page used to criticize his advances, but it must have partly been to elevate her performance. Her recordings without him tend to be blandly sentimental rather than smoldering. She was unexpectedly pulled into this song as an amateur because her husband could just sing the Portuguese parts and thought it needed a few English lines. She felt Brazil mistreated her, so stayed in US for half a century.

Edited by caesar novus

• 4 weeks later...

OK, for the last one I will embed a playlist I created for Club des Belugas. Since sometimes the list (now 7) loses it's identity in embed process, it can also be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK1qF4IwoDE&list=PLNFncZ83olhCS3Tp2w2kFH_G0TnxH4zQU&index=2 On a laptop, you can advance to the next song with capital N or to previous cap P. I forget how without keyboard.

Edited by caesar novus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am listening to this "new" Stones track that has more vitality than you would expect from these geezers resembling wispy dandelions gone to seed and ready to blow away. Supposedly from album recently put together but some of the music and video includes a dead member and a long retired member (Wyman now amateur archeologist). Maybe someone can comment on whether depicted cars are contemporary. Surely the video depicts band members looking a score or two years younger playing this song - done by AI or was this song old and unreleased? Song is "Angry" from "Hackney Diamonds" which is slang for the pile of glass shards from vandalized car windows:

• 4 weeks later...

This one sparks some thoughts, like don't let success bring liver abuse only to die early:

On 9/15/2023 at 6:36 PM, caesar novus said:

Maybe someone can comment on whether depicted cars are contemporary

Ah well, modern cars are so incredibly ugly (and not in a functional way) that I can't recognize them:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The B-52’s produced this memorable song with an ancient theme: