UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

Satirical songs that pick up on above souring west coast theme:

Isn't Jagger misplacing his exquisite mimic of a US persona in LA suburbs? He is using a rural SE US accent that doesn't survive into urban west. He maybe heard live broadcasts from those superchurches in the humid south. The band lives bunkered in hotel rooms and can't get much sense of place while touring. They did record one (double?) album in a hideout studio in Mississippi backwoods where that persona would fit:

P.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield_sound explains this style of music including this performance, but I don't accept the accent unless it comes from Nashville transplants to Bakersfield CA

Edited by caesar novus

8 hours ago, caesar novus said:

P.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield_sound explains this style of music including this performance, but I don't accept the accent unless it comes from Nashville transplants to Bakersfield CA

Buck Owen’s music, as much as anyone else’s, epitomizes the “Bakersfield sound.” This video with Dwight Yoakum and Buck Owen captures the sound with this song appropriately called
“Streets of Bakersfield.”

On 9/28/2022 at 4:35 AM, caesar novus said:

a hideout studio in Mississippi backwoods

I fact checked myself and found the studio in question is just across the border into Alabama and consists of the "birthplace of R&B" Muscle Shoals studio. Not too far from Nashville but a tiny alcohol-banned settlement and subject of various anecdotes in Keith Richards bio, which he may recount in this great documentary with amazing music clips:

Here is one of many Muscle Shoals sound playlists; skip thru https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8Q2PATVyI&list=PLDuMhhYHE7i8Yr3ACbHm7GKb4kEFteWAR OR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqK1NF5m4bc&list=PLlq27sZziU8kCmvpN4I208K7LnLbVWJv3 . One of these songs I never heard of has a quarter billion views and hundreds of thousands comments! BTW I can accept the SE accent even for Bakersfield artists because most were transplants from TX, MS, AL, etc.

Edited by caesar novus

OK, after this 200th post of this thread, I will try to leave it to others to continue. I just find myself listening to a "lesson" version of "Monkey Man" because it wallows in luscious riffs without the strangled sounding vocals. Too bad it omits the piano accents too, which were really nice:

P.S. I restored full movie link in prev post - don't miss it!

Edited by caesar novus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I post the 3 here then I can clean out my watch later list. First a singer increasingly liked by those in mopey moods, maybe because her voice reflects the wine she says she chugs to get courage to sing. She apparently never went to school, but when becoming band leader's GF, out went the old songstress and eventually most males in the band died of unspecified cancers. So don't cross her? Then 2 videos with exceptional dancing (one a redo).

On 9/29/2022 at 4:35 PM, caesar novus said:

OK, after this 200th post of this thread, I will try to leave it to others to continue. I just find myself listening to a "lesson" version of "Monkey Man" because it wallows in luscious riffs without the strangled sounding vocals. Too bad it omits the piano accents too, which were really nice:

I love the tune, also:

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...