UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

Quicksilver Messenger Service were the most underrated group from the psychedelic 60s. They had excellent guitars, vocals, and a message that still resonates: 

You poisoned my sweet water.
You cut down my green trees.
The food you fed my children
Was the cause of their disease.

My world is slowly fallin' down
And the airs not good to breathe.
And those of us who care enough,
We have to do something.......

[Chorus]
Oh... oh What you gonna do about me?
Oh... oh What you gonna do about me?

Your newspapers,
They just put you on.
They never tell you
The whole story.

They just put your
Young ideas down.
I was wonderin' could this be the end
Of your pride and glory?

[Chorus]

I work in your factory.
I study in your schools.
I fill your penitentiaries.
And your military too!

And I feel the future trembling,
As the word is passed around.
"If you stand up for what you do believe,
Be prepared to be shot down."

[Chorus]

And I feel like a stranger
In the land where I was born
And I live like an outlaw.
An' I'm always on the run...

An I'm always getting busted
And I got to take a stand....
I believe the revolution
Must be mighty close at hand...

[Chorus]

I smoke marijuana
But I can't get behind your wars.
And most of what I do believe
Is against most of your laws

I'm a fugitive from injustice
But I'm goin' to be free.
Cause your rules and regulations
They don't do the thing for me

[Chorus]

And I feel like a stranger
In the land where I was born
And I live just like an outlaw.
An' I'm always on the run.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm into interesting fragments of pop rock songs, extracted from their overplayed entirety now gone stale. The first couple I cue up to somewhere in the middle where I am interested. With a keyboard you can override by hitting "0" to restart at the beginning, or do a refresh to rediscover my cue point. First a memorable vocal fragment at second=116:

Next an instrumental cued up to the middle of Muddy Waters guitar solo while at the same time a dazzling burgundy Alfa Romeo 4C is shown. Why did this affordable and fuel miserly 160mph car at second=147 not sell well, esp when priciest supercars tend to have limiters at 155? (recorded Chess Studio Chicago on 11 June, 1964. Bill Wyman bass guitar / Charlie Watts drums / Keith Richards guitar / Brian Jones *dazzling* harmonica / Mick Jagger tambourine / Ian Stewart organ / Guitar Solo(2'14"-3'07") Muddy Waters):

Finally is a close resemblance to Brian Jones guitar track, but lacking some edge. Saw a quite persuasive documentary about him not really being distraught or under much influence when drowning after the Stones fired him. Instead had a fight with someone who he owed much money to accidentally escalate into violence.

Edited by caesar novus

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to royalty free background music now, to accompany outdoor activities on my youtube channel. When they contain much wind noise, the peanut gallery tunes out instead of just lowering the volume and then the youtube algorithm gives it the kiss of dis-recommendation. So here are some either soft ones to replace the audio or lively ones to blend; I guess I get what I pay for...

fragments

verge

boogaloo

70's summer

fun retro motown

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, caesar novus said:

I saw Winwood and Clapton at The MGM in Las Vegas a few years ago. They did most of the Blind Faith songs. Winwood stole the show, however. Winwood's solo "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" was absolutely breathtaking. A few years later, I saw Winwood with Steely Dan. I was less impressed as he became more "jazzy" for that show.

23 hours ago, guy said:

Winwood stole the show, however. Winwood's solo "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" was absolutely breathtaking. A few years later, I saw Winwood with Steely Dan. I was less impressed as he became more "jazzy" for that show.

I can only recall attending 3 shows by major reputation groups. Uninspiring in uninspiring venues; not as rewarding as hungrier no-names. One legendary singer had about that time married a friend of my closest relative. To bad we petulantly weren't talking at the time; maybe I would have visited backstage.

Clapton shed amusing light on what it's like to watch classic video clips such as these. Don't show my kids he said, due to the facial twitches and other signs of drug use. Also can be embarrassing due to many projects being under rehearsed and with more work could and did bring endless standing ovations.

Very ageing rockstars are scaring me about mortality; I am more into youtube audiobooks now.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am reposting 2 outstanding pieces that have had problems in their earlier forms. Will see if a playlist format works this time. First is the world's best fall asleep album from Eno (new space music) and then Club des Belugas song miss spelled as Quite Dawn: