UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

6 hours ago, Novosedoff said:

PS What tags do you use to insert the Utube videos?

I paste in only the URL, optionally press enter, and wait a few seconds for the picture to emerge with an option to revert to clickable link which I ignore. BTW my opera video above is for fellow opera haters. All the 90% songs we can't stand are at the end of the video, so that leaves 9ish reasonable ones at the front. Sorry for the multiple posts, but I keep thinking this is the last from my "watch later" list.

Rhonda Vincent & the Rage - Orange Blossom Special kinda reminds me the Tyrolean song by old Soviet Estonian band Apelsin

James Last was extremely popular in the USSR too, his music was even featured in old Soviet movies like An English Murder (based on Cyril Hare's story). Here is the part one can find on youtube, it starts at 56m20s (I hope you won't need VPN to open it up). A Half of the cast of the movie is actually from Estonia too, the others are Russians

Edited by Novosedoff

Interesting how above example shows you can cue up a video to an intermediate point with &t=, which is typically unsupported by forum software. Anyway I throw in vids of maybe only personal appeal with too many words a red flag.

First is a translation of an opera aria I had posted earlier. I like how it contains reflections rather than banal narrative. It's remarks on the flighty illogic of love somehow reminds me of a poem Hadrian wrote for his tomb on the elusive fate of souls upon death.

Next a couple of go to sleep videos. First is unlike the typical efficient train video, but it reminds me of old fashion trains in Europe. Their progress could be so uncertain that you had cathartic relief when they resumed progress on uneven tracks after being sidelined by an oncoming train or strike or whatever. Maybe sigh that at X hours late, at least we are moving. Journeys typically started or ended in quaint Luxembourg (now a ritzy tax haven?) due to the only discount transatlantic flights connecting there with Iceland.

Lastly sleep by the sounds of a rainy lake. I don't know if this does full justice to the 3 dimensional soundscape of a large lake being splattered on a still night. There is pleasing light hiss, punctuated by torrents of throaty downpour here and then there. It can be like an orchestra with different sections rising and falling in dominance, as upper air still pushes clouds around.

Edited by caesar novus

Next a couple of go to sleep videos. First is unlike the typical efficient train video, but it reminds me of old fashion trains in Europe. Their progress could be so uncertain that you had cathartic relief when they resumed progress on uneven tracks after being sidelined by an oncoming train or strike or whatever. Maybe sigh that at X hours late, at least we are moving. Journeys typically started or ended in quaint Luxembourg (now a ritzy tax haven?) due to the only discount transatlantic flights connecting there with Iceland.

Btw I thought the most common image that American have about travelling on trains in Europe would be as follows 🙂

giphy.gif

Edited by Novosedoff

Here’s an interesting Russian song. This song is wrong on so many levels. I condemn it. That said, I must confess that I am fascinated by the story line (and the fact that the blonde with glasses resembles my wife —at least a quarter of a century and two kids ago).

eheu fugaces labuntur anni 

From Horace's Odes II, 14

Alas, the fleeting years slip by 

Edited by guy

Wow.. you know Russian songs that I never even heard of. But this song is indeed not my type of songs. In fact, 95% of music on my playlists is not even made by Russians or in Russia. However since  you are seemingly curious about Russian culture, here is the link to a song that I could find among the most recent ones which I liked. The song ain't in Russian though, it is seemingly the language of a Russian minority.

Edited by Novosedoff

• 2 weeks later...